Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was indeed a beast. Learned the fine art of "thumbing" pretty quick. Made me appreciate the cast control on the abu 7500c3ct that was my 1st conventional purchase.

Wonder how far you can throw a 545???? Maybe we can strap it on the next time you come down charlie. Would be interesting, not even sure I could get my stumpy thumb on it...lol

185 yrds with a 12' Okuma and a squidder, man that's cast. Was that on a field or over the water??? Beach cast or pendulum?? How much weight? Great casting.

T Rex

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tommy:
I have a big feild at the the end of my road and when i practice cast my heaver I throw it there..It's about 200 yrds across, One day I paced out 150 yrds and started to throw..About the third cast I starting puttin myback into it and by the 5th cast I threw it well past 150, so i went down to the 150 marker and paced out right at 35 extra yrds... 8 oz of weight...no shocker=no friction for a heaver.. Ever scince then I have NEVER doubted my squidder.. I can get 185yrds about every 5 cast... Casting is all about form, remember that and you will be casting that far one day..But until then good day and good fishin..

Fred

·
Registered
801 Posts
wow tommy

you keep on with that practice stuff and maybe one of these days you can throw 550' (but be sure and pace it off, don't rely on those short farmer strides).

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bonito

The first priority in distance casting or surf-fishing has got to be safety. IF you are indeed casting 8 oz the kind of distances that you post then you are generating a great deal of power. Do yourself and those around you a favor and use a shockleader. A sinker breaking off at speed can severly injure or kill. Most guys who beachcast can get by with 50-60lb shock, but a good rule of thumb is 10lbs for every oz of weight.

5 oz = 50 lb test
8 oz = 80 lb test

Use enough shockleader to allow your normal teminal tackle drop then up to the rod tip, down to the reel then 6-8 wraps around the reel. There ara a number of knots that work, overhand/uni, albrite, blood. Learn one and tie it till you got it down pat.

I would really like to see you cast. 550'+ with 8oz, 20lb test, a squidder and a 12' Okuma is quite a feat. That would put you with the very best. Sometimes pacing is not that accurate. Try an accurate measure with a tape and see if you are in the ballpark. You are welcome to come cast with us, guys on this board get together at various locations to practice. I'm down in SE NC in Wilmington. We will have muliple Sportcast USA tournaments up and down the east coast in 04. Join us. Just use a shockleader.... :)

Tommy

P.S.
Oh yea, I've been told before that my form needs work..... Gotta keep practicing

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Led

The 7500 c3ct is a sweet drum reel. 275 yrds of 20 lb test. Good cast control. Four spokes for brake blocks plus end tension adjustment. Casts great for that size reel. I have landed multiple large drum with it. Drag washers are a little weak but that is easily fixed with smoothies.

It's a toss up between it and the daiwa sl30shv....

Tommy

·
Registered
176 Posts
I havent been surf fishing for a long time but I do know this. If you can cast 8and bait past about 135 yards you are one casting dude. My hat is off to you guys. I am happy to cast over 100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts