Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to secure a local field where I can throw lead instead of baseballs. Around here there is lots of available fields but they are not flat enough to cast. So on Monday I went to RDU to see about a field. As I was driving in, I saw the perfect spot. Secluded, fenced on the back, 200ft wide with concrete barriers at 1000ft and bordering a forest. It was obvious that this field was not in use and would not be any time soon.

So I went up to one of the guys on the little Gators and asked where I should go to get permission. He sent me to Maintenance, who sent me to General Aviation, who tried to send me to the National Guard camp, who sent me back to Aviation...etc. After 45 mins of talking to secretaries I finally got sent to RDU Authority and a woman named Karen Quinn, who is the Property Officer for the airport.

I spent 20 minutes explaining what I wanted, what I was doing and answering her questions. I left her my email and phone number, because of course she had to run it by her boss.

I got the reply today:

Thank you for stopping in the other day. Unfortunately, my response to your request to use Airport land for practice purposes must be denied for two reasons. Firstly, the only instances where the Authority has allowed individual or company use of Airport land are in situations that relate to operation of the Airport or otherwise relate to actions that benefit the Airport, such as tree removal or reforestation planning, etc. The Authority receives many requests to use our land for various purposes such as fishing, hunting, racing, balloon flying, etc., and due to the high levels of liability coverage required to operate an Airport, we must remain consistent in limiting the use of our land.

Secondly, and more importantly, the Airport is operating under a Homeland Security Administration Code Orange Threat Level. Guidelines under this Level mandate strict checks of all employees and expressly forbid any non-employee access to Airport facilities beyond the terminals. If our Threat Level is lowered, please consider again requesting permission for access.

Thank you for asking permission, and best of luck to you in finding a site and perfecting your skills!
So there it is. The terrorists are winning.:rolleyes:

Anybody got a good flat field in Raleigh?

Evan

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Evan you find one let me know. I tried North Hills park because I live so close but there isn't any good open areas. I'll check with my brother and see if he can think of any where to go.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GreenFord, how did not notice that you are in Raleigh?!?! I have a line on two fields in the North Raleigh/Wake Forest area; one that is castable and one that might be if you hit less that 200yds. I also have a public park that is usable for baseballs if you're interested. I'll shoot you a PM.

Evan

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I hear that there are several practice fields available in Iraq, Afghanistan, GITMO, Somalia, Pakistan, and a few other places where you'll be better received than in your own country! I hope you didn't tell them you were a veteran, opposed abortion or supported the 2nd Ammendment...or any of the Constitution for that matter! If you went there with a turban and a beard and carried the Koran while toting an AK 47, I'm sure they would probably have given you a tour and even provided cones!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I hear that there are several practice fields available in Iraq, Afghanistan, GITMO, Somalia, Pakistan, and a few other places where you'll be better received than in your own country! I hope you didn't tell them you were a veteran, opposed abortion or supported the 2nd Ammendment...or any of the Constitution for that matter! If you went there with a turban and a beard and carried the Koran while toting an AK 47, I'm sure they would probably have given you a tour and even provided cones!!!
I've got a different type of lead to fling in those places and I can hit well over the 200 yard mark too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have you ever heard "any excuse is better than none". It seems most government agencies look for an excuse to keep people off their properties so they can stay in the coffee shack and watch Fox Cable and scare us to death. The US Navy tried to shut down the Virginia Barrier Islands in the name of National Security.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
What trips me out are the answers you got. You got 2 legitimate reasons for not being allowed. 1, liability and 2, homeland security. So, according to her answer, when the security level decreases, so does the possibility of liability? Maybe she just wants you to chase your tail in circles again to get denied on the first count again? You are always welcome to make the hour drive and throw with me.

Robert

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that confused me too Robert. She did say something about me signing an indemnification agreement to deal with the liability issue, so maybe that would explain the problem. And I will take you up on the casting. I had a great time last weekend. Plus it sounds like you could use a laser rangefinder more often lol.

Torpedo, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that field drops about 38 feet from one end to the other. :( Oh well. I'll keep using the fields I have found around here with baseballs.

Evan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.