Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember .... I understand freshwater bass, catfish, and panfish and have to get someone here to show me a picture to ID a fish I caught! I will learn!

I have not been out on a boat since I have been in VB, and thought it would be fun, not to mention getting hopefully more fish.

I understand that some headboats provide the bait and that is fine. Right now I have only 2 surf rods, but hopefully they will be ok for use on a boat. If not, please let me know because I HATE looking like a stupid rookie!

I understand that some people use lures of some sort for stripers on the boats and I would like to have some of the correct baits before I go.

I read the post here re: Striper Lures, but some are referring to six inch baits.. I have no clue here.

What lures should I have to bring on a boat?

All help appreciated and will be returned when I am not so saltwater stupid!

Thanks!

Rookie Bob

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Highcap56,

how big are th surf rods? If they are over 7' I would think they are too big. Now take all this info with th knowledge that I am a surf an pier guy not a boat guy. ;)

As far as lures th wild eye storm lures produce well. Bucktails in th 1/2 to 3 oz weight range eithwer fished alone or with a curly tail on it. Also just jigs with grubs or shad bodies too. Hopefully someone more in tune with boats will help ya out but this might give ya a start. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Highcap56,

Cdog said:
how big are th surf rods? If they are over 7' I would think they are too big.

Thanks! I think they are no more than 7ft. and one is exactly 7ft.

I have most of the lures you mentioned.

Someone here was mentioning something large for Stripers and that is what I think I missed.

Appreciate your time and input!

Bob

·
Registered
823 Posts
most headboats provide bait and tackle........ at least down here they do

·
Registered
144 Posts
The same lures that work from shore for casting will also work if you are casting from a boat around bridge pilings and structure. I like storm wildeyes in 4" size, but 3"-6" all work well, depending on how hard the current is running. Also jig heads with bass assasins or other plastics are good, as well as the plugs.

But if you are trolling that is a totally different story. I doubt that a headboat would troll, but I've never striper fished from a headboat. Post again if you need info on trolling lures.

·
Registered
634 Posts
also pick up a salt water ratt-l-trap..used one last night and the schoolies were tearing it up...check my 2 posts on the boating board..theres alil more info on what lures we used.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the advice!

I see that I need to pick up a couple of things... Hopefully the Lesner snags won't get them all before I get out in a boat!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts