Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on Ferries, beach driving, good spots to camp?

My dad wanted to go camping and Fishing and I thought about doing that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
769 Posts
make the camping / fishing trip a whole lot less complicated and look at Ocracoke or other OBX sites. Just my thoughts. best - glenn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless you have a real 'want' to go to Lookout or PI, I agree with Glenn. Go to Ocracoke. To have the convenience of the village is nice. I go to all 3 locations. And I go to them for different reasons.

To answer you question, you can tent camp or you can rent a cabin. The cabins are nice but they are also a long run to the point/inlet. At low tide, not such a big deal because you can drive on the flat, solid beach. You can camp almost wherever you want. The nice thing is, you can move if you don't like where you are. The NPS site has the restrictions (http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm).

There are two driving paths; the back road and the beach. The back road is a single track for two-way traffic. At high tides or closed beach, that's the only way to move around. That can be a slow trip from the point. Driving on the south end between the point and the jetty can be tough due to really soft sand.

Your ferry leaves from Davis. You need to reserve early in the year if you're considering a fall trip. With the high fishing season being between late September and early November, the cabins and ferries for that time book in January.

I've tent camped at the NPS campsite in Ocracoke and I've stayed at Edwards of Ocracoke motel. I cabin it only on CALO and PI, no tents for me there.

Good luck and tight lines.

Ed

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you have a real 'want' to go to Lookout or PI, I agree with Glenn. Go to Ocracoke. To have the convenience of the village is nice. I go to all 3 locations. And I go to them for different reasons.

To answer you question, you can tent camp or you can rent a cabin. The cabins are nice but they are also a long run to the point/inlet. At low tide, not such a big deal because you can drive on the flat, solid beach. You can camp almost wherever you want. The nice thing is, you can move if you don't like where you are. The NPS site has the restrictions (http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm).

There are two driving paths; the back road and the beach. The back road is a single track for two-way traffic. At high tides or closed beach, that's the only way to move around. That can be a slow trip from the point. Driving on the south end between the point and the jetty can be tough due to really soft sand.

Your ferry leaves from Davis. You need to reserve early in the year if you're considering a fall trip. With the high fishing season being between late September and early November, the cabins and ferries for that time book in January.

I've tent camped at the NPS campsite in Ocracoke and I've stayed at Edwards of Ocracoke motel. I cabin it only on CALO and PI, no tents for me there.

Good luck and tight lines.

Ed

Thanks.

Can you tell me more about tent camping on Ocracoke?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've tent camped at the National Park Service campground on Ocracoke only. (http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm) It borders the dune line. The campsite allows for RV and Tent camping. There are showers, although not heated. Restrooms. There is potable water. No electrical hookups. Grills and picnic tables. I like the sites on section D that back to the dunes and are farthest from the entrance. I've camped on D009 twice. Those sites drain quickly if rain, easier to get to the beach for a quick fish, and less through traffic since you're on the last traffic loop.

The campsite is about a mile or so from the village on Hwy 12. I've never had a problem there, quiet times are observed. No crazy times but I've either been there in April or October which is out of season for the summer camping crowd. This location does accept reservations which is nice. Some of the NPS OBX locations do not. The location is open mid-April to late-October.

Be aware that the NPS ORV night driving restrictions take effect annually on May 1. So, camp in April if you're thinking of the spring or accept the restrictions. I look for the full or new moon weekends in April.

Last advice, take strong DEET bug spray and wear long clothes if you can stand it. The mosquitos in the summer and fall can be vicious.

·
Registered
177 Posts
long sleeves/pants, did he say DEET, *****/critters can reck havoc, yes-choose spot that drains if rain, NO - that is not Grass - SANDSPURS!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've camped at Ocracoke. Nice campground but showers will take your breath away. Last April it took me 7 days to barely get use to them. But showers and bath houses were clean and staff was very friendly. They let you pay a day at a time. Hopefully, if not under water I will be there on the 11th for two weeks. Oh and another thing you won't need a reservation because it's never full unless you go in June or July.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts