Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use Teasers or Trailors when fishing with lures? Are there situations where one is better than the other? Is the idea with a teaser that it is supposed to look like your lure is chasing the Teaser? I have not used either of these techniques with spinning gear, but I have used a Trailor fairly often when fly fishing ( smaller fly tied directly to the hook of the larger front fly). I think a trailor would inhibit the action of a swimming plug. Do you guys have any tips or advice on using Trailors or Teasers when spin fishing? TIA.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes.

Most of the time, I tie a trailer to the end hook of a spoon to give more tail action. Often times the extra action is needed to entice the fish to bite. I haven't had much luck with a trailer hanging below the lure though. I figure it's something about the presentation, perhaps it's not natural. I notice this setup often fowls itself on the cast.

Using a teaser ahead of a plug does mimic a bigger fish chasing a baitfish. Times I use a teaser is when the bite is very difficult or when using a smaller fly to match the hatch. A heavier plug helps getting the fly in the bite zone. Teasers will also cut down the regular distance you get with a plug.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't use teasers, but offshore, many people use teasers and if a big fish comes into the spread, sometimes, the fish will go after the teaser first and try to bite it. Teasers do help to bring up fish from all around and are an important part of your arsenal.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I've occasionally used one when fishing for small stripers that are feeding on rainfish and silversides. When the forage is tiny, stripers often won't feed on bigger plugs and spoons.

It's pretty simple--just tie four or five inches of a wooden dowel or a surface popper onto a line. Above the dowel, tie a couple of dropper loops that hold small flies like Clousers. The dowel adds enough weight to the setup to allow you to cast far, the splashing attracts fish, and the flies mimic the tiny minnows.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That does sound like a winner!! I have been checking out the cast-a-bubbles at cabela's. Looks like one of those would work also.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings OldBay!

Just wanted to point out that the teaser seafisher is refering to is for offshore trolling, usually a big splashy device with no hooks to attract fish from below the surface.

When casting, a teaser is usually a smaller lure (tube or fly) tied above the main lure. As you pointed out in your question, the teaser mimics a bait being chased, and as sand flea pointed out, it can often mimic the bait better than a plug or spoon.

The only thing I've caught on a trailer is small blues. I use a popping plug to call them in, and tie a small feather/bucktail jig or single hook tin squid to the last treble (about 18 inches back.) You can get the same effect without the tangles with a weighted styrafoam popper.

Love the sound of that rig, sand flea... I may give it a try if the right circumstances come up....

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
In San Diego...

The setup is know as the "Bonito Splasher". Nothing more than a Cast-A-Bubble filled halfway with water. Run your line through the center tube and tie to a snap. Attach 30" on leader material and a white clouser minnow (2/0 or 4/0) and you're ready to go. The bubble attracts the fish and they hit the minnow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts