Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any opinions and experience with the TD Advantage (TDA 4000A)? I've heard some guys had issues with the Tierra in terms of corrosion resistance. I've always loved the line wrap of daiwas and what has always been a great smooth drag...I loved the capricorn. I am thinking of using this as a plugging/metal set-up with a 10 foot rod. The reel really looks good since it is light and it has one of the best capacities in that weight range. The 4000 is only 14oz! Should I expect the same corrosion or durability issues that some guys have supposedly experienced with the Tierra? I will be using 30-40# braid on it.

Team Daiwa Advantage-A reels put a winning combination of strength, durability and ultra-smooth performance on your side. Six ball bearings (including anti-corrosion CRBB bearings), plus rugged computer die-cast aluminum construction make these reels ideal for both freshwater and saltwater use. The Long Cast X-Treme ABS System will let you reach distant hot-spots with the lightest baits and lures. And, when you hook up, count on the super-consistent sealed drag to provide reliable fish-stopping power.
Team Daiwa® Advantage™-A Features:

* Six ball bearing system including two CRBB corrosion resistant bearings and a roller bearing
* Lightweight, rugged computer die-cast aluminum alloy body & cover
* ABS Machined Aluminum Spool
* Digigear™ digital gear design for speed, power and durability
* Washable design with sealed, water-proof drag
* Air Bail™ tubular stainless bail, strong yet light
* Lifetime™ Bail Spring
* Titanium-Nitrided ball bearing line roller
* Twist Buster II line twist reduction
* Infinite Anti-Reverse
* Free spare ABS aluminum spool

TDA2500A

Digigear®
Digital gear design ensures a perfect mesh.

CRBB
Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings.

Free spare ABS aluminum spool
Model
Number

Action
FW/SW

Bearings

Gear
Ratio

Line Per
Handle Turn

Wt.
(oz.)

Line Capacity
(Lb. Test/Yards)

Drag
Max
Spinning
TDA1500A UL/- 2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB 4.7 : 1 23.0" 9.20 4/155, 6/100, 8/80 8.8
TDA2000A L/UL 2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB 4.7 : 1 24.0" 9.20 6/135, 8/110, 10/90 8.8
TDA2500A ML/L 2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB 4.7 : 1 27.0" 10.20 6/210, 8/170, 10/140 15.4
TDA3000A M/ML 2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB 4.7 : 1 31.0" 11.30 8/240, 10/200 ,12/170 15.4
TDA3500A MH/M 2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB 4.9 : 1 32.0" 13.80 10/240, 12/210, 14/170 17.6
TDA4000A XH/MH 2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB 4.9 : 1 33.0" 14.00 10/300, 12/260, 14/210 17.6

CRBB = Super Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearing, BB = Stainless Steel Ball Bearing, RB Roller Bearing

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I have a 4000 in both and by far the Advantage is well worth the extra $30 or so bucks. Have used both hard and the Advatage is still smooth as butta and the Tierra is getting stiff even after good cleanings after each use.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tierra vs. advantage?

I don't really see much difference except for the "color"......what are the major differences and do u have any idea why the Advantage would be more durable (both aluminum bodies, CRBB etc.)?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Tierra 7 bearings and the Advantage is 6 bearings but the main diff. is Tierra is made in China and the Advantage is made In Japan. You have to feel to believe. A big diff. between China made and a fine JP reel.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is the Tierras are made in China.

And the Advantage is made in Japan.

The Advantage is a much better reel.

(Damn, AD, you beat me to the post.)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hmmm, haven't had any problems with my Tierra, granted it does not get fished as hard as most of my others.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
No real problem with the Tierra. The TDA is just smoother.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
What's the difference between the Advantage and the Inshore? I just got a Shimano Saros 3000...but I am a die-hard Daiwa fan, esp for the lite tackle.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
What's the difference between the Advantage and the Inshore? I just got a Shimano Saros 3000...but I am a die-hard Daiwa fan, esp for the lite tackle.
The Coastal Inshore claims to be waterproof. Thats the only diff. I can see. Price is about the same +-

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Coastal Inshore claims to be waterproof. Thats the only diff. I can see. Price is about the same +-
None of them are waterproof like a van stall or zee bas........they all just have "waterproof" drags (a rubber gasket), which daiwa claims make them washable. The Tierra and advantage also have waterproof drags...not just the Inshore. One other difference that I see is that the Advantage has 17.6 pounds of drag while the Inshore and Tierra have 13.2# in the 4000 size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts