Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys. I keep hearing that Tautog are a year round fish, is that true and are they good eating...What is the best way to catch them if you can't get to a wreck for them...any advice would be help for for my jouney to try and catch one...Thanx

·
Registered
200 Posts
in the summer and warmer months they are overloaded with bait so it makes it harder to get them but the coldest monthes the seem to head a little offshorewhere the pressure is less

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have heard of Togs caught around pier bases, but mostly around the base of bridges at slack tide.
The type of rod & reel is also important. You need a straight rod with a good backbone, but a very flexible / sensitive tip. Use a level-wind reel, not a spinning reel & you should drop straight down for them, not cast.
If fishing with bluecrabs, buy Female Crabs (they prefer them) & buy a lot of extras & cut the spares into extremely small peices & toss them in every once in a while to help draw the togs out of the structure. Also, keep the crabs fresh, & cut them up only when you need bait, not all at once. When the crab hit the water, there is a dipersion of protein around it that attract the togs.
Another bait not many know about & it is real cheap if you want to work for it is sand-fleas. Go down to the beach by the shoreline & dig ---togs love them.

Some other baits are chowder clams, & hermint crabs

They usually start biting in the fall when the water temp hits 60 degrees & in the mid 40s they stop, or slow down, but I have heard of them catching them year round. They usually bite best right at high tide & when the tide falls.

Another chumming technique is to knock the barnicals and mussles off the rocks & pilings around you.

"eaglesfanguy" did an Excellent job in the hardware rig part. Like he siad, keep it simple & no hardware. One more thing to add, I have seen some use 2 hooksin the same peice of bait, but I have never tried it.

If you start catching seabass at first, you have to catch them before you will catch the togs, they are smaller & faster. You might have to move.

Also, when tog fishing, your hooks come in contact with the wreck & rocks etc & can get dulll fast, keep them razor sharp with a file.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cooking Tog!

No one talked about cooking them. OK, Blacken you some shrimp then the tog, then heat a can of Mushroom soup with some extra different kind of mushrooms added, add the shrimp to the soup and pour it over the blacken tog. No one can beat the taste of this one? Not even another kind of fish! Oh when fishing for togs take along lots of extra hooks and sinkers because when you start losing them you know you're in the right spot! Oh what about Fiddler Crabs! You forgot about them they can also work.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Here's my two cents. Everyone has their own tricks when it comes to tog. As far as catching them from shore, it's more of a seasonal thing. Usually the spring and fall are the best though some years they can be caught year round depending on the weather. As far as bait goes it seems crabs are the best bait. Any type of crab will do, blue, green, fidler, hermit, rock, calico, etc. Clams, worms, conch, and other shellfish will work when you can't get crabs. As far as catching them goes, go with the simplest rig that you can. I usually use a minimum of 20lb test but usually 30lb test and tie the hook and sinker directly to the line. When toggin', you are likely gonna lose rigs, and depending where you are a lot of rigs. Now hooking the fish is a whole another story. Some say to set the hook 2 seconds before you feel the bite. To be honest I still haven't been able to perfect hooking them. As far as eating them, you won't find many fish that can top the taste and texture of tog. It's a very meaty fish with nice white meat and can be compared to monkfish, the poor man's lobster. This time of the year you will probably want to fish a headboat or charter a boat to catch the tog since the majority of them have headed out to the wrecks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the info...guess I will give it a try sometime. I'm guessing that around the CBBT is a good plce to get to them that is close for me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
togs migrate in the winter, they head for deeper waters....i caught plenty this summer around the second island, up thru october when i stopped fishing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
gus said:
togs migrate in the winter, they head for deeper waters....i caught plenty this summer around the second island, up thru october when i stopped fishing.

Hey gus,

stopped fishing or letting them grow up a little?:D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts