Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any info on that Tarpon caught this week up there.:eek: Theres a beautifull picture of it on tidalfish. Nobody has said exactly where it was caught but it was somewhere near poquoson. The picture has allot of stuff in the background inluding a sailboat halfsunk on a sandbar. Looks like if you fished that area much you'd definantly be able to tell where he was. The fish appear to be in the upper 30" range. Hit a bucktail. What an awesome catch.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Believe it or not they are here! They just really got their big debut this year with the one caught off of LIP. They migrate up here every summer to spawn in creeks in the easter shore. The one that the marine science museum has i believe was caught just out side of the lesner bridge.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've know that Va is the highest point in their migration but never hear of any being caught anywhere but on the ES or caught in the ocean on the way up.
Fishbgy, you've been catchin them all year, I assume you mean this summer only. Are you going to disclose where you've been gettin em and what baits you've had luck with. Thats just crazy. I figured they would have all been headed south by now. I hear usually after the first cold day in Sept. they turn tail and run. Have you caught any recently?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
A lot of times people confuse American Shad as baby Tarpon. Not trying to say that's what's going on in FISHGBY's case, but there are quite a few people who make that mistake. I didn't even know Tarpon came into VA waters until the report about the one on the LIP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tarpon

There are kings everywhere in the bay i was accually Cobia fishing but had to give it a shot had the gear,and i did catch a Tarpon,caught quite a few in the sound down in Hatteras,and a couple in Fla. probably could say Latameir Shoals, there in the same vicinity,never saw a shad over 15 in.!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tarpon

I've know that Va is the highest point in their migration but never hear of any being caught anywhere but on the ES or caught in the ocean on the way up.
Fishbgy, you've been catchin them all year, I assume you mean this summer only. Are you going to disclose where you've been gettin em and what baits you've had luck with. Thats just crazy. I figured they would have all been headed south by now. I hear usually after the first cold day in Sept. they turn tail and run. Have you caught any recently?
Havn,t caught any in the last 45 days but caught them on Mackeral rigs trolling with my brother, the seem to like the small multicolored tubes on the rigs, i didn,t know it was such a secret,not many warm water species this time of year,not to say theres not a stray or two, 60 degree water would support stripers,specks,greys,etc.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
There are kings everywhere in the bay i was accually Cobia fishing but had to give it a shot had the gear,and i did catch a Tarpon,caught quite a few in the sound down in Hatteras,and a couple in Fla. probably could say Latameir Shoals, there in the same vicinity,never saw a shad over 15 in.!
I've seen some shad in the 25"+ range caught in Rudee Inlet this year. Their mouth and big scales make them look just like a small tarpon, but that's not what they were. Where could I go to catch King Macks in the bay?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've seen some shad in the 25"+ range caught in Rudee Inlet this year. Their mouth and big scales make them look just like a small tarpon, but that's not what they were. Where could I go to catch King Macks in the bay?
Saw a drunk hook one on Buckroe pier about 15 years ago. He had no idea what it was and I was shocked. Broke off on a piling.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Saw a drunk hook one on Buckroe pier about 15 years ago. He had no idea what it was and I was shocked. Broke off on a piling.
Hell, it was probably abnormal 15 years ago. Now in days it would probably be damn near unheard of. Around 30 years ago my old man used to catch a lot of little kings in Oregon Inlet, but he never caught any in the Chesapeake Bay. I'd be happily surprised if I was fishing the bay and caught a king.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts