Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some people have hooked tarpon from piers but I personally don't think it would be possible to land one. Once a tarpon starts to jump they are waaayyyyy down there and you waayyyy up there so the hook will pop out of its mouth because most tarpon aren't hooked well to begin with since they have tough mouths since they eat crabs like sheepshead. If you were lucky enough to land it you couldn't do anything with it because you would have to gaff it to bring it up if it was a decent sized one and they aren't good eating so, the only thing you could do would be 1) Drop it back down and let the sharks chew on it or 2) Get it mounted.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
They are occasionally landed from piers, but they're usually an accidental catch that grabs the baits of guys pin-rigging for kings and cobia.

If you're lucky enough to get it to the pier, most anglers bring it up in a drop net, snap a picture and let it go. It's an automatic release citation regardless of the size.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have heard of a number of Tarpon of all sizes landed from piers in NC and SC. However alot of them are faught so long that they are half dead by the time they are brought to the pier. and if there's sharks in the area it makes it almost imposible to release the fish and be sure it will live to fight another day. Probably wouldn't help much for tarpon but any fish i'm not going to keep that is exhausted and i don't think it'll live just by dropping it in the water with a net i'll walk off the pier to the beach and revive it. can take some time out of your day of fishing but in the long run it's worth it :)

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
There have been a lot of tarpon caught off Frisco pier and Avon pier through the yrs.. In the mid 70's we used to intentionally fish for them,because you were assured of a bite(full moon in July). Two ways,daytime we would fish for them just like pinnin for kings,except we had a 150mono leader,which I usually albrighted a 6" piece of wire at the end of,just in case a king did hit.. ;) The mono leader would work better because the long length of piano wire would have a tendancy to kink when the tarpon jumped,you could catch spinner sharks and blacktips better this way also... :D
The other way we used to do it before the piers started closing earlier,was to bottom fish for them at night with spotheads.. There was nothing like seeing a tarpon jump on a calm night with a full moon lighting the water... ;)
As one poster said earlier,it is better for the revival of the fish to get off the pier with it.. I landed one that was 121 off Kitty Hawk pier in the 80's,by the time I got him up he was pretty much dead by the time he hit the deck,and THAT gives you a "sick feeling" :( Those fish take a VERY long time to grow,a real shame to kill one.. The best way to do it,if you got him hooked good is to work your way to the surf on whichever side of the pier the fish is favoring,then "drop the rod" to someone in the sand below and go down and get your rod.. That way when you land him you don't have to bring him up in a net and you can revive him MUCH easier..... ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've fished for and hooked a couple at Gulfstream in Florida, where they're close in. I don't know that they're in close enough or their location is predictable enough for them to be a serious target from the surf in NC. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
never thought of that drumdum :D That's alot less stressful for the fish then landing it on the pier :) Thanks!

Tight Lines!

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts