Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a buddy that fished HRBT Thu night an says he caught a juvinile(sp) Tarpon. Are tarpon even native to this area? I was shocked that Tarpon were caught in NC I thought they were a southern fish. Corse a couple yrs ago a bonefish was caught around Nags head so I guess anything is possible. :eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is possible. I have never heard of them being caught the bay in my lifetime, but I have a friend who is 67 who grew up on Gwynn's island who (is very honest, by the way) says that tarpon were caught in the middle bay in the 40's. A few are caught every year at the eastern shore, so it would stand to reason. I'm curious who else has stories to tell. If a Manatee makes it's way into the bay every couple years, and once up to Delaware, anything is possible. I have read about yellowfin at the cbbt, and a 200 pound bluefin in 15 feet of water, so I tend to believe it.

One note: ladyfish are often confused with baby tarpon (they look almost exactly alike). They are caught in the Pamlico sound, and may also make it north.

Crazy theory#1: A tarpon or ladyfish was in the pamlico sound (not uncommon), got pushed north by isabel, and lost it's bearings. Tarpon do extremely well in shallow water with structure-such as the intercoastal waterway-which ends up next to the hrbt.

Crazy theory #2: The thing entered the bay just like they used to 60 years ago.

Now everyone knows i'm nuts. Anyway, I'm curious about any other details you might have about the story.

Final thought: They are absolutely worthless as table fare, and the very best on the end of a line. I would release one, and encourage others to do so. Every year there are a bunch caught on morehead city piers, and half of them end up thrown to the dogs. I see lots of pictures of people with 100 pound fish hanging from a scale, and unless they are ready to pay $600-$900 to have them mounted, they go in the trash can.---my .02

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have heard that tarpon have been caught in OC, MD. A few years ago a few were caught in OC by bottom fisherman targeting sharks.
-Anthony

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fishwagon,I completely agree with th release 2 cents. Th details I have are is he was throwing 4" storm lures an it was approx. 24" an around 5#. I suggested a ladyfish an he got p!ssy an informed me he knew what a ladyfish looked like. Anywhoo a ladyfish would be unusal up here too right? Either way it was released to get bigger so maybe I'll catcha HR tarpon. :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony, thanks for th input.I didn't think they made it up this far let alone MD.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
There is a bigger Tarpon fishiery on the eastern shore than most people believe. Some people like secerts. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can anyone say...Oyster, Va.

Tarpon do come this far up. Though the fishery is nothing like it is down south. July and August are the prime months and they are regulars that time of year off Oyster. This was a banner year for Tarpon in Va. Probably had a lot to do with the diference in weather patterns. Alot of people seek them with fly equipment...this year there were a few boated.

They also hook them with regularity in the Pamlico, but catching is a different story there also.

There are the occasional reports of Tarpon as far north as NY. Who knows...given the right warm current, any fish from the south might show up in Maine!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tarpon in HRBT (ladyfish)

I agree with what others have posted, more than likely it was a ladyfish. While anything is possible the idea that it was caught in is not typcial tarpon water. That it could be a tarpon has two thing going against it - out of its usual home area, and outside its water temp tolerance of 75-90*.

Ladyfish, on the otherhand, are common in our waters.

Tarpon are found in the shallow estuaries of the southern portion of the eastern shore. Every year I hear news of big tarpon being caught.

I say ladyfish....

Lou

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think about my friend who grew up on gwynn's island in the 40's, and said that older people would talk about tarpon coming into mobjack and the middle bay every year. Could you imagine what that would have been like before people had their way with the chesapeake?
Supposably the stripers made their way all the way up to rockfish gap near Lynchburg. I daydream of what it would have been like to hook a 35 pound striper in view of the Shenendoah mnts. 150 yrs. ago, or have a tarpon jumping out of the water down around Grandview.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
691 Posts
some type of Shad?!

Well, MY theory is that it was probably a misidentified Shad of some type. In the spring we catch a ton of them in the river's and they are dubbed, 'poor man's tarpon'........ They leap and jump like crazy. So, maybe it was a Shad that wasn't familiar to your buddy. There are many species of them and they all have that classic Tarpon shape. Just a thought..........

Fish On
Zigh
><((((*>
:)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shad

Thats a possibility that I had thought of as well. But along with a manatee in Hopewell, a shark in th James and a seal a coulpe yrs ago way up on th Chic, I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
200 Posts
here we go lets just settle this right now there ARE tarpon in VA on the eastern shore. we fish for em every year. was their a baby at hrbt could be they aren't that smart espessaly the little ones that are hatched in the tributaries Don't ever let anyone say they aren't here.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with Zigh. I have caught lots of shad on lures at the HRBT and they do resemble little tarpon in appearance and the way they jump. Anything is possible, but the water seems a little cool for tarpon now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
No doubt ........

There are Tarpon around the Eastern Shore barrier Islands, no one is doubting that. In question is, would there be a baby Tarpon caught this time of year near the HRBT. Not likely, but possible. I don't think anyone is doubting that Tarpon are around in mid to late summer ocean side of the E.S......

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If they are attributing all this grass along the oceanfront ,from here to hatteras, to Isabel blowing it in from Bermuda ,I wouldnt think its too much of a stretch to pik up a displaced tarpon from the eastern shore or wherever.........the R

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Species: TARPON Coast: Atlantic and GulfRange: From Virginia south to Texas

That works for me:D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
yada yada yada

if i wanted to get hookd up on a tarpon id go visit Koz. And even if i got one of those trashy ones . his @SS would b mine , id tell ya how trashy he was right after i pickd my teeth with his BONZ :D if it comes out the sea im willn to try m

·
Registered
54 Posts
You'll probably question my drinking habits but that wandering manatee made it all the way up to Rhode Island on about its' 4th known trip. Not a fish story.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
yeah blon smok outaa cigaar that 1 mantee was all the wat under [ 95 ] bridge in [ RICHMOOND ] dude take that as for grantnd :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts