Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone had any experience using tapered leader in the surf? flyfishermen apply this technique with varying degrees of success. i was wondering if you, the collective great minds of p&s, had an opinion one way or another.

ralph

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
IMO,not necessary..

Most of the time I am using 20 attached to 50,and when slinging 8nbait,it does fine. When flycasting(and someone who uses a flyrod more frequently than I could chime in here ;) ) ,the tapered leader adds a more "streamline" approach and will aid in the cast,helps to shoot the fly forward with less resistance. When using a conventional or spinning tackle,to cast a lure or use 8nbait,IMHO just think it would be an unnecessary step..

·
Registered
176 Posts
The tapered surf leader I have seen is attached to the main line so that the two small lines are tied together so the knot is small. they are much longer than the usual shock leader. They get larger as you go toward the hook end. the last 20 feet or so will be the strongest portion. The opposite of fly leader. With say a 20 to 50 taper you can tie the 20 to your main line have a small knot and still have a 50 lb shock. I just use 50 lb shock and larger eyes on my rods. I do think It would work well for levelwind reels though if you need a shock leader and need a small knot. But so does power pro. The main concern of mine would be the strenght of 20 tied to 20 vs 20 tied to 50. You experiment on a 50 or 60 lb cobia next year and get back to us.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I used a tapered shocker a few years back that went from 15 or 20 up to 80. It was a great leader but a tad expensive...can't remember who made it.

I think I bought it from Ron Sutton.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Varias amd diawa make them in the 5 pack. That is 5 to a spool.
Veals is the cheapest, great for levelwinds, but way too rich for bait fishing. Varias comes in hi-vis yellow or clear, don't know about diawa.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've never used 'em but the only application I can think that would call the need for one would be if you were using a levelwind, to keep the knot from sticking. As far as batteling a cobia using a tapered leader, shouldn't be a problem as long as you tie a strong knot and have a good drag.

Tight Lines,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
fishin fool2 said:
The tapered surf leader I have seen is attached to the main line so that the two small lines are tied together so the knot is small. they are much longer than the usual shock leader. They get larger as you go toward the hook end. the last 20 feet or so will be the strongest portion. The opposite of fly leader. With say a 20 to 50 taper you can tie the 20 to your main line have a small knot and still have a 50 lb shock. I just use 50 lb shock and larger eyes on my rods. I do think It would work well for levelwind reels though if you need a shock leader and need a small knot. But so does power pro. The main concern of mine would be the strenght of 20 tied to 20 vs 20 tied to 50. You experiment on a 50 or 60 lb cobia next year and get back to us.
Thanks for clearing that up fishin fool,I should have said "reverse streamline approach".. :D As far as the 20 to 50 I always double the 20 with a bimini,spider or triple sugeons,caught cobes up to 80,but I'll experiment with one over 100 if he takes the bait ;) .Guess doubleing the 20 is sort of like a tapered leader,but it's [email protected] on levelwinds :eek: that way.It maybe good for that application,just like tieing my own(especially for those kind of $).Generally,I don't use a levelwind anyway when shock that heavy is required. Using 6 diameter fireline to 20 or 30 flouro with a double uni when I'm using a levelwind for lures and such,and had good sucess with it..
PS I have an 8 wieght Sage,and use them on it,but rarely get the opportunity,cause I'm not a very good caster with it in the wind..:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...WORK IN PROGRESS

thanks guys,
it sounds like the jury is still out. but as usual you guys have set me straight and given me food for thought. geezz and if it is too rich for k-tom's blood.
i thought the tapered leader is meant to provide more stealth. that is to stay if a fish is "leader shy" you could use a leader that is "thinner" nearer the bait so as to not spook the fish.
ffool, i never caught a cobia [ i have though caught a 43' drum]. never even seen a cobia. are cobia leader shy? as you suggested i will experiment and see what it produces.
okay fellows/gals, chew on this. when fishing in deep water [say between 60-100 ft] for lake trout/salmon, i have seen fisherman used a tapered leader consisting of several different diameter leader i.e . 15, 10, 7, 5. could the same technique be applied to surf fishing? the immediate problem i see is the increased number of knots, therefore increased the probability of knot failure. but lets say for guys like sflea or k-tom who are diehards; is there any added value to this approach?

ralph

·
Registered
193 Posts
Use the tapered leader for level-winds, and little fish. Go with a straight leader for the big fish. A 68lb. cobia I caught this summer was caught on hi-vis yellow sufix 80lb. leader that I use for t-casting. So I think that if they are that hungry, they will bite no matter what the color. Specs, they are another story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts