Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let everyone know, BEWARE of parking at the Talbot side of Tank bridge. This past weekend my car was broken into by smashing the rear passenger window and some stuff was stolen. This seems to be a recurring thing because it happened to another fisherman two weeks ago. Called the state police and according to them, this is a big problem in that area ... not just cars but homes also --- the vandals are looking for electronics and money. The police want to get them so if you know of any other incidents in that area call them.

This is unfortunate because the fishing this fall there has been up to par and enjoyable. Here are pics of some of the fish I have put in the cooler from there.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/ABluesman_photos/

My fishing partners have been doing just as well --- sizes range from 18.5" to 28" with most in the mid-20s. If you head out there, keep an eye on vehicles in the area and what they are up to. These guys need to be caught because they are ruining a really enjoyable time for all of us.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Man... sorry to hear that. Thanks for the Heads up... I try to park my are within visible sight but that's not possible sometimes..... Somebody EGGED my car at Sandy State Park a few months ago... What an A$$ I have an ideal of who the 2-faced A$$ was... Just nasty people out there.... The Tank is scary at night and dark as hell...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for the headsup ABluesman. Unfortunately, with the lights being out in the parking area, it's pitch black out there and this makes a perfect condition for these thugs especially they know the fisherman/woman are way the heck out on the pier.

Oh, BTW congrats on your catches!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Don't worry about your cars, worry more about your own safety. Sometime if you are the only one on the pier, be more careful especially those places that are more thug prone. Make sure you have your cell phone in hand if anyone approaches.

Be safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
d

hey ABluesman, it was nice talking to ya lastnight at KN.
I'm the asian fella u chatted with in the rain :)

again, sorry to hear about ur car and ur kid's PSP.
I'm actually thinking about heading down to choptank sometimes soon, I never been there, but from what you have told me and the pictures u posted, man i want to get in on some of that action.

If ya going down there anytime soon let me know.
PM me or shoot me an email

laters.

btw I PM'ed you my email

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
even if you can see your car, you might just see the people breaking into it. Thats a good length of a pier to go down, especially at night.

That sucks.

Now Abluesman you are not making this up just to keep the pier to your self are you **wishfull thinking** :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Jeff, you are right you could possibly see something but not be able to do anything because of your distance away. You could call the police if you had a cell with you but even that probably wouldn't stop the criminals ... they move fast and have some experience getting in then out. I wish I was making the incident up ... I can show you the bill for the glass replacement (not nice and then you have to take into account the property taken as well ...) You can see from my posts the fishing has been great ... Was it worth it? Yeah ... because I love it. Unfortunately, it is the low of lows when a few dunderheads cannot let others enjoy what they love doing.

The lighting in the lot there is acceptable Tuna ... that just shows you how immature and malicious some people are ... or how stupid ... it is only a matter of time until it will all catch up to them. Probably spoiled the rest of the season this go around though. This happened to me several years ago too and it takes the passage of time to trust going out there again.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ABluesman,

This is a little late, but did you get your glass replaced by Safelite? This summer, some kids busted my passenger window and I had it done them and it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Safelite Indeed

Yes Tuna, Safelite is good and I use them all the time because my insurance co. recommends them. Replacing windows due to going fishing is a costly way to go though ... Thanks for your input -- window is all fixed now and just waiting for a good day to try going back out there again.

Wannafishallday, I like your mind and the web cam idea. My version would also trigger some nasty and embarrassing surprises for the intruders. Maybe if they made the news a few times, this childs play would become very rare.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Abluesman,

I know you were being honest, I was trying to make light of the situation.

Sorry that that happened. Stuff like this can happen anywhere, but Unfortunately these events will keep me from visiting the tank any time soon.

Cops that work part time earn about $20 an hour cash.

3-4 people fishing for 4 horurs = $20 to ensure a unmolested parked car. Not exactly what the doctor ordered, but a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wholesale bait up in O.C. and I left my truck unlocked in naticoke/quantico And someone snatched my whole case of bloodworms, Thats 81 dozen. It was hard explaining why I didn't have any to fill orders...... I hope every worm bit them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
One tactic I use, that not everyone has resources to do, is drive my old beat up Nissan pickup to questionable or potentially problem areas. Bangs, dents, worn out and cracked interior and a bunch of garbage inside (my newer Nissan Frontier is sparkling)...it looks pretty uninviting and with nothing of value inside. I learned this tactic when landscaping Parks parks in urban Baltimore...I'd actually rough up the trees and shrubs after installation and break some limbs (and make the plants look like crap) so people wouldn't steal them. They survive and, when unstolen, later I pruned out the intentional damage and they grow out fine. A little psychology works like a charm.:D:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts