Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how did you all do and who won the pool any good pictures of fish or people falling asleep!! Hat I know you got someone doing something they shouldn't have done. Did it rain hard there. TRIGGER:cool:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Left before official announcement, but there was a good one that would have been hard to beat (sure some one will tell the details). A few stripers and blues were caught, and it was nice meeting those I have met for the first time and nicer seeing old frriends again.

Guess all were up to Hat, so while there, no pics of interest, but as midnight comes and goes, and sleep deprivation begins, I'm sure someone did something that made for a good picture.

Rain, some spitting before I left, don't know if it made it to the Tank, but driving home, ran into a couple of nice downpours around Easton, and a good one on Kent Island.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any size to the fish that were caught rock,blues. It looks like I won't make it to the Tank till the 14th of Oct.(Tuesday) early morning,to much $hit going on at work,the bosses have a new position that is opening up and want me to apply for it,since I have 3yrs. left till I retire,they want me to get my high three in before I leave,more paper work.:(

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The Tank

My son Liam caught two stripers one 15" and another that was 17.5" that was pretty fat..both were caught on floating jig heads attached to fishfinder rigs baited with Perdue Peelers..we also managed about 10 toadies between us ..that place must be the toadfish capital..I fished cut bunker ..herring ..and perdue peelers all day and night to no avail...saw some interesting catches but will let the others post their stories..it was fun meeting all of you for the first time..My son had agreat time ..ran into some nice storms on the way home to Wilmington..hope to do it again soon..see you next weekend at IRI..Tight Lines To All! Murphman :)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Let's just say you won't believe how the top fish was caught...

..And leave it at that. Let the "Champs" post their stories...

·
Registered
216 Posts
All in All it was a good outing...

Between WtrDog and I,

3 kepper Blues (barley but keeper)
2 Stripers (one 4" and the other about 12")
4 Spot (turned to cut bait)
10 White Perch
at least 15 Toad fish

My largest blue only went 0.8 lbs and about 14" long. No one would have ever guessed that it was big enough to win the largest Blue or Trout bet. Good for 40 bones though :D

I swear between Anthony and FL this thing was RIGGED! LOL
FL, I knew that I would need a mulligan. Great fish Champ (both of them ;) )

It was great meeting all of the P&S'ers that I had not yet met. You guys are a real class act, unlike certain boaters that owe a certain someone a whole lot of Power Pro. UHG. Can't wait for the next group outing. A lot to learn form fisherman like all you. Thanks,
- Surfman

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Most fish caught were punk fish;small Stripers,small Blues,small Trout,big White Perch,and very few Spots.

Out of the whole group there was 5-6 keeper Stripers caught;one was mixed in with breaking fish.While others were caught on cut bait.

only 2 Trout were caught and I had a 12 1/2"er on cut Spot

I caught
2 dozen 11" Blues I kept 10
A dozen Stripers 12-15"
1 12 1/2" Weakfish(Trout)
3 Spots
All the White Perch you want.

Thats ok if Fl Fishermen won the pool but I wonder who will win the pool at IRI??????
:rolleyes:

Who won Anthony or Fl Fishermen:I'm sure Fl Fishermen won?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well a strange night it was. First off I want to thank everyone who came out and supported this function. It was a good time by all even though it wasn't the best of fishing. We got many compliments on what we did. This time it was from residents! They were very thankful that we were cleaning up their pier. Fishing was SLOW! I think it is still too early for the tank. It needs to cool down a few more degrees for it to be productive. To those wondering how the pool went here it goes. Started fishing around 5 pm. Dove the rock catches a nice 19" striper on gotcha plugs at the end of the pier. It weighed 2 lbs even. Small dinks and small blues were busting surface most of the day. Later that night Anthony and I walked down to beginning of the pier to catch some spot for livelining. We are using little pieces of bloodworms. He yells for me to come over and help him and he has got a nice 20" rockfish on his line. We hand line it up on his 10 lb test and it weighed 2.1 lbs. Time flew by and nobody caught anything. I threw my 12 ft out with a hi/lo rig baited with cut hard crab and a piece of cut spot. Time was 1110 and Anthony was telling me he could smell the money. He said he was going to be a 2-time winner at the choptank. He is my buddy but I couldn't let him take this pool.;) I looked at my line and saw it was slack. I started to reel and my line was under the bridge on the other side. It felt heavy but I thought I had caught somebodies line on the other side. Everybody said that they were clear and as I got it to the other side Anthony grabbed the net. To everyones shocked faces I had two rockfish on my line. And they were both keepers!:eek: It was unbelievable. Anthony netted em and my smallest was 19" and weighed 2.2 lbs! My biggest was 22" and weighed 3.1 lbs! Definitely a once in a lifetime moment! That is how I won the fish pool and robbed Anthony of taking it again. He He It was a great time you should have been there!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
What Jason didn't mention was that I gave him the bait for those two fish. At least I lost to a good friend, or maybe that made it worst ;) . Me, Jason, Hat80 and Fish-On stayed all night but didn't have much to show for it. Sandcrab and HappyPappy832443 also stayed for a little while after midnight. A few spot, perch, a few blues and a couple of catfish were all we had to show for it. We headed over to Kent Narrows and caught large perch and two undersized rockfish, mostly on cut crab. It was a fun weekend although the fishing was slow.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I was,now tell us the truth FLF did you have someone in a boat come by and hook those two Rock on your line for you or did you really catch them?????? just kidding, you are starting to get better at fishing,I'm glad Anthony took you under his wing and taught you well or something is very fishy about you and your partner winning the last two!!!!!!TRIGGER

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
:p I like to think I took Anthony under my wing and he has become a better fisherman because of me.:D Nope caught those bad boys legally. First time I have ever seen two keeper rock on the same rig. Ususally it is one keeper and another dink. I have pics and will be uploading them tonight for everyone to see.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you cast toward the river or the bridge and which hook did you have what on. I'll be hitting the Tank on Oct.14th early morning on the Cambridge side,hope it will be :cool: er water temps by then.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Casted towards the river and had cut bait on top and cut crab on bottom. The current was strong because of the full moon. We were 1 light pole from the end.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Some highlights of the clean-up:

* Jason running down from the corner every five minutes with the same snapping blue in his hand, trying to convince people they were catching fish every cast.

* Anthony and Jason disappearing for an hour, then coming back with a "keeper" striper (in a Kool's Ice plastic bag!)

* Clyde showing why the mayor wants that damn pier closed at night (he just kept going and going and going...)

* The Fantastic Flying Fish Show (don't ask!)

* The aromatic mixture of Clyde's cigar and Sandcrabs cat dip bait (and people complain about my Purdue Peelers and shedder squid!)

* Anthony foul hooks a striper -- and the striper returns the favor!

* Jason trying to find enough bait all night to keep his six poles in the water.

* Naida quietly trying to catch every white perch within a mile of the pier. A brave effort, but she was hopelessly outnumbered....

* Joe Mama not getting in the pool, and catching what would have been the winning bluefish (as predicted!)

* Anthony thinking he had the rock pool "in the bag" at 11:00 PM.

* Jason finally gets around to checking all of his rods at 11:15 PM, and finds not one, but TWO keepers on the one with the hi-lo rig, including the pool winner.

* Some of the "older" members of the group begin having flasbacks to the 70s and try to build a Harley out of spare coolers and pier carts.

** Manayunk Jake ** gets skunked for gamefish after hooking every white perch and toadie in Dorchester county -- twice!

It was a pleasure meeting everyone, and there were some moments that should have been filmed! Can't wait until the pictures start coming out so I can permanently attach names and faces (tough to do at my age!)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Manayunk Jake said:
...Some of the "older" members of the group begin having flasbacks to the 70s and try to build a Harley out of spare coolers and pier carts.
OK youngster! Enough of that! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts