Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't take a kid fishing you are missing one of the best things in life.
If you don't have a young'en borrow one, it's worth it.
Each year I spend a lot of time fishing with my and other folks kids fishing. If you have done it, you know why.

Here's my suggestion, Lets plan a kids fishing day this summer. It doesn't have to be too fancy. Just get them on the beach and maybe have a cookout.

If any of the P&S membership is interested lets hear it.
I am open for suggestions.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Wilber, I think its a great idea. I don't have a kid so I would have to drag my brother with me so my nephew could go but I'll try.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Wilber...daughter is only 19 mos old.....I cannot wait....

But I usually take my freind's son out.....

But count me in.But logistically ,where?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
how about a pier somewhere? even if there aren't any panfish biting, they could jig gold hooks for small blues, grass shad, etc. or they could catch small sharks which are almost always biting

and for the ones that are a little more experienced, they could go flounder fishing, king rigging, or spanish/blue jigging

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good Idea Wilber

The sooner a date can be set up, the better. As a divorced Dad, I need to work out which weekend and travel plans.

Keep us posted.

mapcaster

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to see some support, good for the young ones anyway.

Bluerunner, I thought about a pier, but I think the surf will give them more room to run and not get in anyones way.

With kids on the beach I think the important thing is to have some fish on the drop off so they can catch'em easy. So, maybe in the summer. It should at least be good weather.

Loks like most can make the Outer Banks, so maybe at the "Rusty Ritz". It is easy to have the cookout and there is a pool in case the kids get bored. Let me do some checking, the "Fish with a ranger" program in Hatteras is made for Kids. The Hatteras Angler's Club does a really good job with that. Might be the way to go. Anyway I'll get back to ya'.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Wilber said:
Good to see some support, good for the young ones anyway.

Loks like most can make the Outer Banks, so maybe at the "Rusty Ritz". It is easy to have the cookout and there is a pool in case the kids get bored.

Is this guy cool or what, and I don't even know you "Yet" :D

Fishing with kids is great,Great idea...

Since mine is grown, guess I need to check the local "rent a kid" ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wizardude, I will bring extras. Just in case someone needs one.

Short Kids story,
I took 4 kids to Hatteras surf fishing one day a long time ago. My 2 and my buddy's 2, he was a charter capt. and had to go offshore. Anyway, the kids are 6, 6, 5 and 4. We get to the Bight and I start to cut bait and rig the rods. The first rod goes to Arron(4) and he headed to the surf with my son (6). About the time I get the last rod rigged and baited I hear the two of them hollering. I look over and Josh has Arron around the waist and Arron's little 7 foot rod is bowed over. Given the time of year I figured he had a Car Hood (big ray). Sure enough it ran out over the bar and sat down. Arron did all he could to get the thing in to avail and broke it off. He will swear to this day he had on the biggest Drum ever hooked and I wasn't about to tell him any different.

It's an adventure every time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Kids

Wilber,
Keep me posted..my son Liam and I are always up for a new fishing adventure. Murph:)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sounds like a good Idea and since I don't think I can make it to your location what ever day you pick I'll take a bunch of kids fishing on the same day up here and take pics of the them. I got my Grandaugther and Nephews hook last year so I'll take them and my Godson who has just started asking me to take him fishing.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cocoflea, that's a great idea. Think about it, the same day, kids fishing in the surf all over the east coast.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Wizardude, I will bring extras. Just in case someone needs one.

Wilber said:

He will swear to this day he had on the biggest Drum ever hooked and I wasn't about to tell him any different.

It's an adventure every time.

Souds good :D

Great story, just gave that kid something to remember for a lifetime, sometimes I think we loose track of how little it takes to make a lasting impression on a child.

Short story:

Years ago, dating a lady with 2 boys, one too young to fish, one 7. The older boy (Mike) disliked me so much, he referred to me as "Him" :rolleyes: Wouldn't even say my name, in his eyes, it was my fault he wasn't with his Dad.

Needless to say, relating was a problem. He didn't get into wildlife/etc, and I wanted to introduce him to it, not an easy task, just being a "Him" ;) Went out to the creek where we lived, caught some crayfish, tadpoles, and a few wild Guppies, put them in a tank on the balcony, and said nothing to him about it. Yes, he became more and more interested :D Soon I was showing him how to catch/take care of them, getting him a few tanks and tubs for these and turtle and snakes, well you get the idea. Took him fishing a few times, I was tournament Bass fishing at the time, and he seemed a "little interested", but I didn't know to what extent until I took an old tackle box, and filled it with "stuff", along with a pushbutton spinning outfit, he could call his own. Came home one day, and in he walks in with a 5lb Largemouth, not knowing how to fish rubba worms, he just cut them into pieces like a night crawler, and put `em on a hook, casted out in the local pond :jawdrop: Not only did he now call me "Wes", but he'd bring friends over and point at me saying, "bestest of all fisherman", got to love it :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
i think its an awesome idea i dont have any kids(that i know about) lol j/k but ill be in the rent a kid program maybe he/she can show me how to fish :eek:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually Crabby, it has never bothered me. I have 3 boys and I love the hell out of them. The oldest is 20 and he will still fish with the old man, but not as much as before. But, Middle boy slid right into the spot. Now when you get to the "Baby" (just turned 6), he is my best buddy. He learned to cast a 7 foot rod when he was 4 and he dearly loves fishing with dear old Dad.

I seems that you don't have any children, which might not be a bad thing considering. If you ever have any kids you will understand the meaning of the word Compassion and your posts will grow up. Until then try it you might like it.

Take a kid fishing.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Crabby_84 said:
I hate to be the sour apple and all but do people ever get suspicious about your love of taking kids out fishing with you?

No Problem at all...

But starting to see where your minds at :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
OK, first of all, let's not start another war in here. I think some of us have had enough.

Second, Crabby that post was immature and you know it. Most people have morals that others recognize. Please stop with the mind-in-the-gutter, "sour apple" posts. And you react to our respones like they are totally unwarranted. Personally, I would take great offense at someone suggesting what you have intimated about Wilbur. Cut out the crap OK?

Again, lets not turn this into a repeat of the "Hope you haven't forgotten" thread.

Evan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts