Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Whats up tuna fever ? My favorite tackle shop in your area is T.W's in Nagshead.. Big selection of tackle,bait,clothing etc.. Their like a mini bassproshops.. Also they build custom rods..

·
Banned
328 Posts
If you're a bit further south RDT is a shop who can whip you up an out fit from rod to reel to bait box and terminal gear in no time flat and NOT break the bank. Please support thtse local shops I think they are gonna face a tough year since a lot of folks won't be back because of the closures. I'll be back at leasy 3 time next year from 10 hours away in Central PA

·
Registered
230 Posts
After Whitney moved away I mainly switched to TI's. I use them for all my reel parts and repair. Very honest guys. There are some good people at TW's, but some dont know a thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I stopped by TW'S yesterday, those guys acted like they had a crab up their butt. They didn't have time to help me out,and their prices are high.
Well not to ruffle any feathers and I am only stating what I personally experienced at TW's. Once I spent over $200. and didn't even get a thank you, which was fine, but the guy at the register acted pissed because I interrupted him while he was eating his sandwich when I checked out and I've been there on other occassions and got the cold shoulder as well. I'll go there for bait on occassion but that's it. I like Whalebone Tackle. They are small but usually have what I need and are very friendly. Also, Fishin Fever in KDH are good folks too.
Also, you may want to post this on the NC forum as well.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I have only been in TI's once, well twice.

First time was to buy my first pair of waders, grabbed the size I wanted and paid in cash, no reciept. Got back to the house we were staying out and dressed up warm and put the waders on and went fishing, quickly realized they were a size to small with a couple pair of socks on.

Took em off and went back to the store and brought the waders (covered in sand and wet) and the box and told the guy(a different guy than sold em to me earlier) what happened. He told me to grab the right size and to have a nice day.

But this was quite a few years ago.

I usally go to TW's Nagshead when I am up that way. The last time I did have one guy comment when buying $60 in bait and ice that that was a lot of money for a drum I had to release.Kinda snotty about it too, but after heading home with two drum releases I just thought about what he said and smiled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've always gotten good service and advice at Bob's Bait & Tackle, but they are up the beach in Duck. They had a blowout sale at Thanksgiving and I was able to pick up some new gear really cheap.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
TW's has always been a pain in the ass for me. I've been in there twice and the first time I was just asking about bait since their cooler was empty, and the guy looked at me like I was an idiot for even asking. The second time was to buy a rain suit since they had some on sale for a great price. Same experience at thresher. You'd think I interupted him from a BJ the way he was acting. I drive right past them all now and if I haven't gotten bait locally first, I'll go to Frank & Frans or RDT.

As for going to Wally World or K-Mart, you get what you pay for and most of what they sell is junk. If I have to spend a few dollars more at a local shop to get good gear I will. I'd rather not skimp on a few bucks and lose the fish of a lifetime.

·
Registered
33 Posts
tackle shops OBX

TW's Nags Head repaired a broken tip on my trout rod in under 15 minutes and cost six dollars. But then it's taken me about nine years to adapt to OBX time. Since your new to the area TunaFever, welcome, and relax, slow down, service is slightly different here. Ask the clerk his name, he might be a neighbor, tell him your new to the area, be friendly when they are not. Just remember Tackle shops are higher priced than online or discount stores. But alot of them offer personal service you can't get at the big chains. For the record I don't prefer any one tackle shop over the others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info. I stopped by Fishin Fever todayand talked to Scott, he was a big help on what rigs to use here, and rods for different type of fishing. It was real laid back there, not just after your money.They have a cool web site. www.fishinfeverobx.com . Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hatteras Jack- always friendly to me when Im there

Frank and Fran's-same thing, once they get to me (if theyre with somebody else) they're as nice as can be

Dylan's Corner- May not have the biggest selection in Buxton, but certainly the most friendly by far

Frisco Rod and Gun- Always get great service in there as well.

Teach's Lair- Always get friendly service in there. Most of these shops mentioned are competitively priced (for the island)

There are other tackle shops. Like some of the people in them, but generally only go in if I cant find what Im looking for elsewhere. Price and attitude arent the greatest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fishin' Fever is the place for me, what they sell is what is tested and works. They are happy to show how to tie up rig as well. Good folks and the Mullet and Bunker seem to be the freshest during the season.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
my garage, hahaha
If you have never been in his garage, you should know that it will put most tackle shops to shame.

Yo Joe, Everett scored a 1980 Lloyd Rose Washburn for Christmas. We found him a 1982 Fernadez Strat that is one hot guitar.

I will have to get you two together next year to jam some.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I have left TW’s many times feeling like I did something wrong. I am glad to see that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

I go to Frank & Fran’s about six times a year. Every time I walk through the door I am greeted as if I’m in there everyday. They are always so nice. I’ll stroll to the back and see Frank sitting in his office and I’ll ask something about “where to go fishing” or “something dumb” and he will stop what he is doing and talk to me.

That is why they are the “fisherman’s friend”. :fishing:
Frank & Fran’s is my favorite.

However, Avon is a long way from the metropolis of Nags Head….
So if I where up in the metropolitan area, hummmm, let’s see,
how about the Stop & Shop?

Now, for the Wal Mart comment, yall’ have to forgive PEEWEE, he is from Elizabeth City. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.