Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Long time gawker, first time poster. I’ve gotten some great info from these boards that have helped me move from a freshwater fly fisherman exclusively to a more well rounded angler with a few saltwater species under my belt.

Apology in advance is this is not the right forum for this question.

I recently purchased a handful of Yo-Zuri 3D Inshore Twitch Baits (mainly due to price and the pretty lure catching the fisherman) and then started doing some research on the rest of the 3D Inshore series. Based on my typical fishing style, which is more power oriented than finesse, I’m thinking that one of the 3D Inshore Minnows or Fingerling.

For reference, most of saltwater fishing is done in tidal creeks and on the beach in South Carolina with either live bait or soft plastics and Id like to diversify my bait options.My thought is that the hard bait would be best suited for fishing the beach trough and inlet.

Any/all feedback welcome.

Thanks and tight lines,
Matt

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
You can throw both soft and hard baits in the surf. Shrimp imitations, paddle tails, and Gulp are very common. I like throwing the Mirrodine and Xrap jerkbait when there's bait and light surf. In the winter months a lot of folks throw 52MR for trout.
You can also throw lighter spoons and heavy Spanish jigs.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hi All,

Long time gawker, first time poster. I’ve gotten some great info from these boards that have helped me move from a freshwater fly fisherman exclusively to a more well rounded angler with a few saltwater species under my belt.

Apology in advance is this is not the right forum for this question.

I recently purchased a handful of Yo-Zuri 3D Inshore Twitch Baits (mainly due to price and the pretty lure catching the fisherman) and then started doing some research on the rest of the 3D Inshore series. Based on my typical fishing style, which is more power oriented than finesse, I’m thinking that one of the 3D Inshore Minnows or Fingerling.

For reference, most of saltwater fishing is done in tidal creeks and on the beach in South Carolina with either live bait or soft plastics and Id like to diversify my bait options.My thought is that the hard bait would be best suited for fishing the beach trough and inlet.

Any/all feedback welcome.

Thanks and tight lines,
Matt
I like the Yozuri lures too, as well as the Mirrolures & X-Raps, and have used them in both salt & freshwater. I'm in SC also, near Lake Marion, and it's been awhile since I've been to the coast, but agree with what's already been said here, especially by Smoothlures. I think of power fishing as using bigger or heavier lures which require some heavier duty tackle and generally over 1/4 oz. 1/4 oz & under is my idea of finesse. Most of those lures in the Yozuri 3D series can be fished with spinning or casting gear that can handle 8 to 14 lb mono type lines with medium or medium heavy action. If you prefer braid, then use what you have, that would also fit in that mono range for line diameter. I prefer to use at least 30 lb braid as I like casting gear, and find that thinner braid gives me more problems with it digging into the line on the spool. 20 lb works on spinning gear however. Longer rods, at least 7', allow for better distance. I like an 8' rod too if casting in the surf. You can use those lures anywhere you choose and as Smoothlures pointed out there are many other types of lures that can also serve you well in the saltwater, and surf. I always carried some bucktail jigs when I went to the coast, in 1/8 to 1/2 oz. and would add various plastic baits to them. I still have several jars of the older pork strips that I prefer on bucktails. As far as fishing the trough, and inlets, of course you need to be capable of staying in contact with your lure. In a hard current or wash, those lures may be difficult to know what's happening with them, so you should also be prepared to fish something heavier too. That's where spoons & jigs can be a better choice than hard baits. Of course, you have to figure out what to use & where when you're there, as no amount of advice & reading what's posted here will substitute for first hand experience on the water. BTW, I still like to fish the old 5" & 7" Rebel Minnow inshore & in the surf. I've caught a lot of fish on them. I also very much like the poppers in the Yozuri 3D series. They can be a lot of fun in the surf and tidal creeks. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts