Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

It's been about two years since I posted here. I searched the forums and didn't see this topic addressed: Do you prefer the old standard hard plastic tackle boxes, or the new soft bag style, and why?

I used one of the soft bags for about a year and I ended up cutting it open this weekend because it got wet and the zippers rusted closed. :mad: I liked the flexibility of the soft bag, and it's quieter working in a SOT, but didn't like the rusty ending. I saw Field & Stream bags have a non-skid, waterproof base and I'm tempted to give it a try.

Opinions??

·
Registered
539 Posts
I prefer a lure bag. Aquaskins or VS. I love my single row VS holds enough to overload and my fiance has the Aquaskins small tall which is perfect IMO as it forces you to be committed to your tackle choice.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I like a soft bag and 3600 series boxed... load the boxes that you need and leave the rest of the stuff laying at home... no need to lug unnecessary weight...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Being a first class Tackle Ho it was hard for me to move into the Kayak Mind Set when it came to tackle. By that I mean only take with you what you need, easy to say hard to do.

Here's what I do, it is kinda like mother shipping. I have a giant tackle station, the Plano 777, it's a beast. In it I keep every thing, and multiples of everything. This is to restock the "Trip Boxs" that are set up for a single kind of fishing. EX, My go to box contains; 1 floating plug to troll while paddling to fishing hole. Since I Trout fish a lot it also has 2 of my favorite MirroLures, 3 weights of lead heads and one popping cork rig. In addition I carry a tub of mixed Gulp.
If it is Striper fishing season I'll put the Striper box in the Yak. Same for bottom fishing and flounder fishing. Well you get the Idea.

One more tip I got from Ric Burnley's book, set out all the tackle you think you need for the trip, put half of it back, study the remaining stuff and only take half of it with you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Vests can come in handy, especially when wading. With a yak, I lean toward a tackle bag or flat tackle box, but still use my vest for stuff like my pliers, knife, etc... Look around and you can find smal ziploc bags, I usu. pre-tie a few different rigs each time I go out, put each one into a baggie and put the baggies into different pockets. Same goes for hooks, sinkers, the small spools of fluoro leader, etc...Plus, if you go in the drink, everything in the baggies stays safe. Pros: quiet, everything's close at hand, you can't spill everything out of a vest. Cons: you have to think ahead and pack light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.