Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something you guys may find interesting. I was pitching a story to Saltwater Sportsman on Va. Beach's winter striper fishery. While they liked the idea, they told me that they have decided to drop ALL stories on surf fishing in favor of boating-based stories. I just think that sucks--it's like no one recognizes how many people enjoy this sport from the surf.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got the same implied impression. Same with Sport Fishing. Thier recent article about Kitty Hawk/OI Stripers was strictly boat related while one of the pictures that show massive bird play had surf casters on the beach in the distance and out of focus. We're the "black sheep."

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Does SWS still have post boards on their website. We could all go over there and start some hellacious discussions on surf fishing, the growing number of surf fisherpeople(pc), how much money/time you spend on surf fishing, etc.

Could be kinda fun!

BTW, Eric and Flea. Looks like I'm gonna be in Hatteras the weekend of the 19th with my best surf fishing buddy Gravy. What are y'all up to?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, they still have the boards. But they're deader than a doornail.

I don't know what I'm up to the 19th, although I am hoping to head south in the next week or two since the water is still warm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wonder how much demand there would be on an Atlantic Surf Fishing magazine... hmmm... could be a goldmine :rolleyes: I would subscribe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How about LD fishing in general -- then you can
cover large rivers and the Great lakes!
Now you can do articles about salmonids,FW drum,
catfish, gar, pike/muskie, along with the
usual stuff like getting your bait "out there"
and breakaway rigs to save on lost rigs and
lures (sacrifice the sinker).

Bottom line in all this is SALES and eye candy.
People love to see pictures of guys hauling in
a 50lb drum, or a 40lb chinook salmon -- but
you need a $3000 boat and trailer to get out
to the fishing spot! (Joe Shmoe does not make
that kind of money! Thats rich mans stuff!)
If fishing is sold as a "rich mans sport",
then noone will want to try fishing (let
alone take their kid fishing). In 30yrs you
can say goodby to your fishing, and the
water from L Superior will be piped to
Napa Valley and the Fla Keys...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dr. Bubba - thanks for asking, but I'm scheduled for the Ft. Washington, Pa boat show. In fact, boat show season has me busy till end of february. Be interested when "the drum bite" starts.

On the surf fishing magazine front, the Fisherman Magazine covers surf fishing fairly regularly. The fall issue is devoted to surf fishing. The Fisherman has regional editions. Also the NJ Angler magazine has some surf fishing artilces time to time. if anyone want a comp copy, email me with your postal. Can't guarantee the copy I send ya will have surf fishing article, but t least you'll get a sense of the magazine and where to subscribe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They hardly ever covered the surf scene anyway. Wasn't that magazine started by Frank Woolner and Hal Lyman, who were two "pioneers" of surf fishing? Everyone knows the "reason" behind this change in policy, look at the advertisements, boats, boats and more boats. Like almost everything, it's a "money thing."

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
$400 for surf fishing rig
$14000 up for boating rig
Surf fishermen do not generate enough income for the magazines.
I talked to one of the salesmen at Bass Pro shop. I asked if there was a chanch that they would stock some more surf fishing equipment and he said that he doubts it..

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, boating can be more expensive, but far more people engage in pier/surf fishing and I know plenty of people who spend a lot of money on the hobby. Heck, if they're going to go for a smaller group of people with more money, perhaps they should only cover big game fishing on 50' plus yachts :rolleyes: Those people are loaded!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I personally enjoy the fact that surf fishing is more of an underground sport. I dont want to come to the beach one day and find a couple hundred guys lined up trying to fish the same 100 yards of beach. I fish inshore from a boat as well and on the weekends it is insane. I like surf fishing because of the solice of it. I can go to spots and feel like the only person on earth,it's great. Even with just a few friends we can spread out and fish. That's one of the reasons I don't openly post reports unless I fish well known areas where people already know there are fish. I hate crowds. I don't need some writer in a magazine telling me what bo bo off the shelf gear to use to catch whatever is biting at any givin time. I don't fish for the recognition or status of having a "bigger boat". I fish because I enjoy fishing and I find it gratifying enough taking home some fresh seafood or landing a big fish from the surf. I don't need the media circus.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dropped my subscription about 6 years ago..They sucked then. Never bought anything more than a pair of shorts at BPS either..more of a novelty store as far as i can see. My local guys will treat me a lot better when i want tackle.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why in the world did a thread from 2002 get resurrected?

In the years since I posted this thread, SWS has actually brought it back. But I don't read them anymore. I get pretty much everything I need from the web.

·
Registered
95 Posts
tht really sux, but i guess i can understand them from a business perspective, i guess they figure that they should market the boaters since if they own a boat they have money and buy the issue as oppose to surf anglers....big misconception

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Why in the world did a thread from 2002 get resurrected?

In the years since I posted this thread, SWS has actually brought it back. But I don't read them anymore. I get pretty much everything I need from the web.
:eek: Holy sh... a four and a half year old thread...Thats funny right there, Shows how we pay attention.:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts