Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Sandcrab,
Do these reels cast well? My guess is they aren't designed for casting far. But would prob be great for ocean.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Husky,

They are the replacement reels for the larger ABU Big Game reels that have been discontinued. I think they would work well on longer rods used for casting lures in the ocean - especially on the East Coast.

This new baby is the replacement for the ABU CS Mag reel that I currently have. :)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml;jsessionid=NFSL3NTC125DOCWQNVDCCOIK0BWUOIWE?id=0023490317357a&navAction=push&navCount=46&indexId=cat390014&podId=0023490&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat390014&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat390001&hasJS=true&_requestid=10484

·
Registered
315 Posts
ABU 7001 Big Game

I bought one of these from Hatteras Outfitters early in December.

Loaded it with 300 yards of 17 lb. Stren and put it on a St Croix 10.5" 4-8 oz Rod.

I have no technique, none! I could cast it 75 yards (measured) out of the box (5 oz bank sinker). First experience with conventionals for surf fishing. Seems to be a fast reel but relatively easy to control. 1 or 2 backlashes at first, none now.

I cleaned the bearings, used Red Rocket Fuel, took out 2 brakes and readjusted the endcaps. This weekend I went just over 100 yards. I have a lot to learn, but I am really happy with the reel, and rod. Hope to get some practice in this spring, all I want to do is get over the bar.

Great Reel
KM

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skunked said:
Is this the same size etc as the old 10000 that were so scarce?
Bluesman,

Outstanding!

Skunked,

Not quite...the ABU 10000CL reel holds 400 yds of 30 lb test mono.

HuskyMD,

No ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
They have them at Bass Pro but supplys might be short but they're on sale for $109.99.What a deal I'll be getting mine in about a mounth,and I'll put the 10,000 model on my OM rated for 6-12 oz.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I also picked up the 7000HS yesterday at Bass Pro and put 5o/12lb Power Pro on it.I hope I see the 10000 model soon.Can't wait until I can put the 10000 on my 6-12oz OM.The ultimate Red Drum Combo.;)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Levelwind reels and shocker knots...

Pappy,

I suggest you use the attached shocker knot to make sure that it goes through the levelwind guide smoothly. I've use this one on my ABU 10000CL and have not had any problems with break offs. I put on new shocker (JinKai 50# test leader material) prior to every trip as they tend to get a little beat up.

Sandcrab

Photo courtesy of Hatteras Outfitters...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts