Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a few hours on the banks of the susquehanna yesterday. Caught a whole bunch of short stripers and finally got into the white perch. Then they turned the water on. Went over to Cecil side for the evening and soaked some cut Bait and a live perch. Got one channel. Beautiful day overall.
I miss Andys reports about all his perch

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hows tidal fish compared to here? I made a lot of friends here, but this new format really stinks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lots of whiny dudes that complain about the lack of stripers but fish a twenty five rod spread every weekend. But TF does have Andy and Judy A as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spent a few hours on the banks of the susquehanna yesterday. Caught a whole bunch of short stripers and finally got into the white perch. Then they turned the water on. Went over to Cecil side for the evening and soaked some cut Bait and a live perch. Got one channel. Beautiful day overall.
I miss Andys reports about all his perch
Thanks for the report, I fished there Thursday and Friday and caught a ton of Shad. A few white perch, but not many and they were deep. The water was still cold at around 53-55, I'm wondering if everything is just really delayed due to the cold weather?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fran I also noticed that the wp were real deep. Not the usual way I catch them where they run up the susky. I may keep trying for them. They might be late like you said

·
Registered
433 Posts
Water is still very cold and the perch were still below Lapidum last week but they are biting well. My grandson and I caught a bunch of them last Wednesday on blade baits, Crappie Magnets and some new flies that I tied up. Lots of doubles on the Crappie Magnets and the flies. They will be upriver soon. There were still lots of shad below Lapidum as well which is unusual for this late in the year but water temps were 53 to 54 degrees which is at least 10 degrees colder than normal for mid May.
20200513_145038.jpg
20200513_203603.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Water is still very cold and the perch were still below Lapidum last week but they are biting well. My grandson and I caught a bunch of them last Wednesday on blade baits, Crappie Magnets and some new flies that I tied up. Lots of doubles on the Crappie Magnets and the flies. They will be upriver soon. There were still lots of shad below Lapidum as well which is unusual for this late in the year but water temps were 53 to 54 degrees which is at least 10 degrees colder than normal for mid May. View attachment 66825 View attachment 66824
Congrats on the catch - looks delicious!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info Jerry! I was hoping you'd chime in. Those flies look pretty nice I might have to try tying up a few.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Simple to tie. Go to the craft section at Walmart and buy some mylar tubing, use a #2 non-offset plain hook, some 4mm bead strands, some thread to tie them with and clear nail polish to seal the knot. The hardest part anymore is finding the right size beads. I started out using bead necklaces from kids party favors but no one sells the smaller 4mm ones anymore. You can use any strong thread to tie with but it needs to be strong and small diameter. Nothing is more frustrating than having the thread break when you are wrapping or finishing the knot. They work for other fish besides perch too. I didn't go yesterday, it was too cold and windy. The pictures are from last Wednesday as well.
20200513_080736(0).jpg
20200513_151553.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fished yesterday just below Deer Creek. We were catching wp on every cast, must have caught 60. They were all small though, didn't see any big females. Caught a few huge Shad as well. Around 1600 they river came up at least 4- 5 feet and the water muddy. Then the fish completely stopped.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. I'll be trying for white perch again one evening this week. Then maybe take the kayaks around north east and try for then this weekend around all the docks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Went back to the river today. It was really foggy early. We started above the old mill and had to relocate once to find fish. Once we got the right location, we were often catching them two at a time but they were smaller fish. We moved back down below Lapidum and started picking up a better grade of fish but they were no where near the size of the ones we were catching last week. Today's menu was fluorescent orange shad darts up river and a mix of darts, my white flies and blade baits down river. Blade baits seemed to catch the most today downstream but all the lures worked well. No pictures today, I forgot my phone at home.
IMG_5890%20c[1].jpg
IMG_6159c30r.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Water is still very cold and the perch were still below Lapidum last week but they are biting well. My grandson and I caught a bunch of them last Wednesday on blade baits, Crappie Magnets and some new flies that I tied up. Lots of doubles on the Crappie Magnets and the flies. They will be upriver soon. There were still lots of shad below Lapidum as well which is unusual for this late in the year but water temps were 53 to 54 degrees which is at least 10 degrees colder than normal for mid May. View attachment 66825 View attachment 66824
Simple to tie. Go to the craft section at Walmart and buy some mylar tubing, use a #2 non-offset plain hook, some 4mm bead strands, some thread to tie them with and clear nail polish to seal the knot. The hardest part anymore is finding the right size beads. I started out using bead necklaces from kids party favors but no one sells the smaller 4mm ones anymore. You can use any strong thread to tie with but it needs to be strong and small diameter. Nothing is more frustrating than having the thread break when you are wrapping or finishing the knot. They work for other fish besides perch too. I didn't go yesterday, it was too cold and windy. The pictures are from last Wednesday as well. View attachment 66831 View attachment 66832
Jerry - Excellent fly tying. Reminds me of Sabiki rig like lures. Well done.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks and yes it is something like a Sabiki rig only home made. We often use a larger version of the dropper fly above a metal jig for rockfish from late July through the end of October.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the reports and tips, I appreciate it. I fished near deer Creek about an hour tonight and caught one pretty small perch. Took it down to the Amtrak bridge to try to intice a striper with no luck. Seems pretty shallow there

·
Registered
433 Posts
Shallow on the Harford side down there but 40-50 ft. in the channel and 70+ up off of Owen's. Have you ever fished the "pier" at Hutchens Park on Congress Ave. in Havre de Grace? Water is 20-30 ft. deep down there.

Some hatchlings from today:
20200528_174359.jpg
20200528_190522.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts