Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Open it up, see what makes it tick! Clean thoroughly, grease, do the oil trick to the spool bearings, see what she does for ya! It's all good 'n' fun! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Arnav...That little squidder can be made to fly. It's biggest problem is slow retrieve speed.
I was just fiddlin' with it this evening. I machines a small plate out of 1/8" aluminum. The OD fits the red plastic end plate bore precisely and rests flat on the 6 ribs. The ID is well clear of the clicker mechanism so there are no mods at all to the original parts. I milled 6 equally spaced shallow pockets .040" deep for the magnets (just some 1/4 x 1/16 I had layin around) With them stacked 3 high, they are quite close to and really brake the spool ... probably too much, but easy to go back from there. Many combinations available. If I find a range where I like it, I might make it adjustable from the outside.
Can't wait to get it on a flingin' stick and try it out !
Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Arnav, That is a great piece of workmanship. Out of curiosity, what is the tolerance capability of your lathe?

Regarding magnetic braking, there are static, mono, and center mag systems. My personal preference is to use a mono mag system. A big issue is having a magnetic range with enough power to deal with worst conditions and also be able to set a minimal magnet power that provides greater distance.

I am with the gentleman who recommended making another side plate. However, a well (protrusion on the outside of the side plate) would enable the magnet to have a greater range of travel. Consider the magnetic effect to be inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the spool and magnet.

Should you want to research center mags, you may find a UK forum to be a good starting point.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Greetings Don !
I have 3 lathes of varying degrees of precision. However, the greatest degree comes from the operator ;).
This was just a quickie to see the effect. Sure, I can make whatever I need, this is just experimenting with what I had in the desk. I could see a dramatic effect just by rolling the spool as quickly as I could with my finger. Anyway, I put the reel on a 6' catfish? rod and tied on a 2.5 oz sinker. (biggest one at warmart) 15lb w/ 30lb shock leader. Firsts casts were like reel was full of syrup, no fluff and only went 100 feet or so. So I took out 3 mags from the top layer and it casted 150 to 180' and just tried to fluff a little (when I messed up). So I removed the other 3 from the top layer and it got VERY fluffy, nested a time or 2 (my fault) and landed several 270 to 280'. (measured, not paced) Eventually, I definitely will have it readily adjustable from the outside, I fish !. I looked at a UK ad of an Akios end plate with a center mag arrangement. Great pics show the construction. But I don't understand how the knob adjustment does not affect the spool endplay ? The Squidder has a stationary bearing at the crank side with endplay adjusted at the other side ..... where the magnet center knob would be. The Akios, and maybe the Ambassadeur type are different as it looks like the stock end plate is solid with the only adjustment for sideplay being on the handle side. In the pic, how can this move the magnet plate without loosening the spool endplay ? Never been in one of these reels, just not seeing it. Unless ... there is an intermideate plate that secures the bearing ?:rolleyes:, or the bearings are in the spool maybe.
Lotta fun !
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
489 Posts
"I have 3 lathes of varying degrees of precision. However, the greatest degree comes from the operator ;). " Understood. I was hoping you would say 0.0005"

60 yards is fantastic for a 2.5 oz, 15 lb, and 6 foot rod. For temporary use you may want to do a search on torpedo sinkers. They are an in line sinker that is usually used for trolling. The brass clips can come out of the lead. While I have not have any break off from the shock leader clip, a single brass leg has pulled free on a few occasions. Worse are bank sinkers. Both 6 and 8 oz have broken apart during the power stroke of the cast and the pieces flew out to sea.

"Great pics show the construction. But I don't understand how the knob adjustment does not affect the spool endplay ? "

I tracked down the pictures and the side plates are listed for Akios 555 and 656 (not all models).
The Ambassadeur 5500/6500, Omoto Chief 5000/6000/530/630, and Akios 555/656 are of the ABU Ultra Cast spool design. Briefly said, 2 bearings and the spool axle are contained in the spool's arbor. Although spool endplay is important, some lateral movement is needed to prevent pressure across the bearings. Hence, in Ultra Cast reels, the two cast control caps should only be used to set spool positioning and amount of play. Important is the stability of the speed bushing. The threaded section in the picture replaces the speed bushing. The speed bushing stabilizes the spool shaft

The first picture clearly displays the size of the magnets being used by the modification. According to the ad, the magnets are N52 (one indication power) and the size is 8mm (diameter) by 5mm (thickness). Since the Omoto and Akios reels use one 6mm x ?mm magnet, it would seem the advertised side plate is over powered. As such, the range of control would be limited.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Bob, yep, they are bank sinkers. That soft eye eventually tore out. I found some in-line trolling type sinkers but they are 8 and 10 0z. I looked around more and see the differences in reel types better now, thanks. I'll get some proper weights.

Yee Ha ! I put the Squidder on a heavier rod, an old 6' bay pole that was my Dads and tied on a 4oz piece of 5/8" dia. steel rod.
302' on the 3rd cast. I feel sort of like Chuck Yeager ... broke a barrier.:) (first 2 went left of center into the woods) Santa is running a bit late, I might just have a surf rod on the way 🤞
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi folks,
I was throwing pretty consistent at 95 +/- yds. , minimal fluff .. just a little on occasion so I think my technique is leveling out. Taking more magnets out tomorrow. All was going good till the rod flew out of the nipple that plugs into the handle and tried to pass the sinker. Got that epoxied back in and practiced a while more till my thumb got near frostbite. Good thing it was really, as I forgot to wrap that dang leader knot clear to one side and it bit me on the last cast of the day. Miller time. Here is my rig. No markings on the rod, but it is pretty stout. My dad used it for spooling in snapping turtles.
Never thought I'd enjoy fishin' in the field ! (passing traffic look at me funny) Quite enjoyable actually. Can't wait to get back to the ocean !
Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
What caliber is that projectile? It looks like your shock leader is directly attached to the sinker. When your sinker tumbles when striking the ground, the line may be damaged when coming between the sinker and gravel or rocks. Usually an oval link is attached to the sinker and the shock leader is tied to the oval link by using a palomar knot.

Oval_Clip.jpg

These are available from Breakaway UK at reasonable prices.

As far as your thumb goes, cut a piece of inner tube to fit over your thumb. The length of the tube will be from about 1" to 1.5". The end of your thumb should be fully exposed to allow for control of the spool when needed. The fit should be snug but not tight.

"Never thought I'd enjoy fishin' in the field ! (passing traffic look at me funny) Quite enjoyable actually. "
Get used to it. The usual comments are: What are you fishing for? and Catching any?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Don, (Bob earlier .... sorry),
I just loop the line through the weight because I have many trees in my yard with a very narrow casting lane and as often as not, I need to walk up and undo the weight then spool in the line, then reattach. I had a large snap swivel on at one time but even that would usually get snagged up in a treetop. I'll soon get the proper equipment and find a better place to practice. The weight is as mentioned earlier, 5/8" dia. steel x 4 oz.
Thanks Don

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Arnav,

You have been very busy. 🙂

"Hi Don, (Bob earlier .... sorry)," No reason to apologize. It happens.

Concern is for others when a break off occurs due to line failure near the sinker. When this happens the sinker can travel extreme distances. There should be an awareness of the line condition at all times. Changing the shock leader before every casting session is highly encouraged. It looks like a clinch knot is being used in the above picture. Note the single loop of line going around the oval link. This can also lead to a dangerous situation. I have personally experienced the link pulling through 60 lb mono when casting a 4.5 ounce weight. To prevent this from happening, most distance casters will attach a shock leader to the link using a palomar knot. I suppose a double clinch knot might be satisfactory. With either knot, the line loops around the link wire two times. If you can't acquire oval links, strong split rings would be better than snap swivels. I have found that snap swivels have a tendency to come open.

OBTW, if necessary you could cut an 8 oz in line sinker in half.

And finally, you may want to step up your shock leader to 50 lb Hi Viz / Hi Vis.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks again Don, much appreciated.
I also noticed ... that was not a Palomar knot, I use them most places I can. I'm not at the point of casting with ANYONE around. I'm on a dead end road with only several cars, and a tractor going by daily and even wait for them to get by. And they're behind me !
I did have a 5oz one break off some time ago, before the Squidder, a Penn 85. I don't think it has landed yet. The local paper comes out once a week .. no reports yet (fingers crossed) maybe next week. I monitor the lines after each cast and have changed them several times, before they snapped. I lost a monster Muskie once due to a cheap snap swivel, been there.
I do have some 50lb line, was using that with the 5oz that is now in orbit. I've run out of yardage here at the house, will soon be going down the road to a field. One think I despise is having to go to the impact point nearly every time as the weight is stabbed too deep into the soft earth to be retrieved with the reel alone. I cast up .... then cast back. Too much walking. I've seen suggestions of baseballs, or lacrosse balls but haven't tried that. Maybe that would simulate weight and bait ? Seems it would reel back easier though.
I tie a loop on the end of the leader with a figure 8 knot, then loop on the sinker. Makes for quick and easy on/off when through the trees. I chamfered and polished the hole to make it easy on the line. I'll change all that when I get to the open field.
Cheers !

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looking good, Arnav! (y)

I prefer a knobby mono mag, if the reel allows. I just bought a new "CatfishPro 600 CTS" reel for $70/shipped, and immediately took it apart. Though made in china it's appears well made. The gears are all brass (even the level wind drive gears), s/s bearings and CarbonTex drag washers. It's comparable, if not a bit larger than an Abu 6500. I pulled the level wind and added a mono mag, so now it's a CTM :cool:

Loaded with Sakuma .35mm (18#) and a 60# shock leader, ready for a shake down cruise whenever the weather obliges.

9.jpg

12.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey ! quite pretty !
Right now I'm using Zebco lines from warmart. Cheap to play with. Just something about the old USA iron that appeals to me. I'd love to make this work. I'm gonna work on this as time (and money) permits.
Mrs. Santa says for me to expect a surprise ! Bless her heart, I cant wait !
Thanks,
:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Mrs. Santa says for me to expect a surprise ! Bless her heart, I cant wait !
Thanks,
:)
Well I'll be danged. I thought she said "break a leg", she actually said breakAWAY !
She got me a 13' Breakaway rod. 3 to 5 oz. Put my little Squidder on and ... wow.
Put on a 3 oz frog face sinker and gently threw it 112 yards.
Biggest problem is I'm shooting way off to the right (I'm right handed). Tried turning it loose later and changing my stance to the left a bit but still sailing to the right. Have to work on that.
Before the cast, I position the sinker at the first eye which is the half way point of the rod. Not sure why, it just feels right and that's the way I did it with the 6' rod. Suggestions, anyone ?
Can't wait for the weather to warm up, my thumb still gets numb from the cold.
Thanks folks, this is quite interesting.
Cheers !
Thanks Santa!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hah! I have that same rod, the LDX, most excellent.

Yeah, I was out this afternoon doing some grass casting with the Catfish Pro, into a 15mph wind with wind chill temps down freezing. Not fun. Where's the Summer????

OK, so now that we both have great rods 'n' reels, and no matter what the line it will always come down to CASTING TECHNIQUE.

SO ... what kind of cast style are ya doing? A simple "fisherman's foward flip"? OTG? Hatteras back swing? Full pendulum? Are you extending yer arms way out during the swing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I watched this
Tutorial on the Hatteras Cast
I'm sort of like this, but wind up my swing more horizontally. Kinda like the ground cast without actually going to the ground.
Like this Hatteras cast - Bing video but I guess I'm going wrong by doing my initial swings more horizontally. I'll focus more on that vertical swing. I am aware of my arms and incorporate the extension as best I can for now. I'm just starting slow, till I get in the lane. Not concerned with distance ,,, yet.
Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, work on technique slowly, the speed will come later.

I think the most important part is arm/hand extension. Most beach casters don't do that and keep their arms/hands in toward the body and in doing so there is a great loss of power transmitted from the unwinding body torque into the rod, then the payload getting launched. With a Hatteras cast, the swing can be near vertical or off to the side. The Hatteras cast was born as mostly overhead out of necessity when the beach was crowded during a blitz - no room for side casting. I think the key element of the simple single swing Hatteras is to watch the payload as it swings back and when it's at its apex is the time to push the rod forward with the reel hand as if the rod was a javelin. There's timing as to when that payload reaches its most rearward position, as to when to start the forward motion. That takes practice. Next is when the javelin forward push ends - that's when two things happen: the butt hand snaps the rod back and the thumb comes off the spool. Again, timing learnt through practice. All of this whilst having the proper footwork and aiming at the proper target: the sky, up at around a 45* angle and not the water and not the horizon (that will send the payload low and with serious lack of distance).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great stuff ! Thanks!
I see, that foot work is key. I am consistent .... just way off the mark.
Looks like Tommy swings nearly straight back, where the other fellow does his swing further around, maybe 45 degrees or more. As he says, similar to a ground cast which IIRC starts with the weight at 270 degrees from the waterline. ?
Anxious now.
I'll watch for a report on that new Cat reel. Good Luck !
Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Open it up, see what makes it tick!
Well I finally got a chance to dig into the Okuma. There is nothing inside. No mags or c-brakes, just the endplay knob.
I loaded it with 14 lb test mono and gave it a whirl. A few thousandths side clearance, 7' pole 3oz lead. It does pretty good but it has to be closely controlled with the thumb. 90 > 95 yards consistently. Had a few nests, but what really buggered me was the line getting between the spool and the frame. Not sure if this happens during the fluff, ie: causing the nest ?, or if it happens after the nest has been built. Any experience with that ? This looks like a nice reel, and really sings but it is a bit fragile and flexible as when I pull the line out of the crack, there is sort of a "twang" and the gap closes back up ... smaller than the OD of the line. I don't see how in the heck it gets in there ? ? ?
Pretty sweet for $10 tho. And I really LOVE that ratio, compared to the Squidder !
Cheers.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts