Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm considering magging a Surfmaster reel. It has the aluminum spool. However, the outer face of the spool that would face the magnet(s) has slightly raised radial ribs. Will these ribs have an adverse effect regarding the influence of the magnet(s) on the spool ?I have yet to open any magged reel and will ask you what is the distance of the magnets from the spool face when fully "IN" toward the spool,and then when fully "OUT" away from the spool ?
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi folks, I'm considering magging a Surfmaster reel. It has the aluminum spool. However, the outer face of the spool that would face the magnet(s) has slightly raised radial ribs. Will these ribs have an adverse effect regarding the influence of the magnet(s) on the spool ?I have yet to open any magged reel and will ask you what is the distance of the magnets from the spool face when fully "IN" toward the spool,and then when fully "OUT" away from the spool ?
Thanks
Reach out to Matt at ReelKustomReels. But I would say save your money and invest in a newer casting reel. Gen 2 Fathom 12/15 have factory mags and won’t have any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a new reel would normally be my first choice. The FII 15 CS looks really nice @ $210 but is hard to find in stock. However, I am a semi-retired precision aerospace machinist who loves to tinker and have a mostly dormant full featured CNC tool and die shop. I can make a spool, just cant anodize it. I'm sure everything imaginable has already been done / tried, but I do have a few ideas to experiment with. And.... right now I have more time (I hope) than $$$$$$. :)
Thanks for suggestion.
Kind regards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a little Penn squiddler 146 (L) with an aluminum spool and ball bearings but its spool is ribbed too. It looks to be new in the box and appears to be a very nice reel.
I'd hate to butcher that one up. But I could make a new end plate for the magnet positioning mechanics.
Thanks folks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If present, those side plate "ribs" can easily be ground off in the area you wish to place the mags. Here's a Surfmaster 200 that I just static magged. The side plate inner surface was already smooth so I just roughed it up and slow-set epoxied in 4 small washers. When cured, I added 1/16" thick N52 neodymium magnets in a line and placed north/south/north/south - this will produce the best eddy current effect for slowing the aluminum spool. The washers are 1/16" thick and the height of the washers plug magnet discs can't go much above 5/32" or the spool will be touched. I have some 1/32" x 3/8" N52 mags on order so that I can stack and tailor the magnets to suit the payload.

20210104_063420.jpg

Here's a 140L Squidder that has side plate ribs and I just placed correct size washers between the ribs.

20200929_204659.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has the aluminum spool. However, the outer face of the spool that would face the magnet(s) has slightly raised radial ribs.
Hi Bob, thanks for the pics ! I have no problem with the frame side plate, my original question was regarding the ribs on the spool itself.
So, overall, were you satisfied with your modifications ?
Thanks again,
:cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the spool is truly made of metal, the ribs could be ground off. If that spool type is plastic it can't be magged since the spool needs to be made of metal to create magnetic eddy currents. Note that the spool does not need to be a ferrous magnetic metal, just some type of metal. Removing or adding anything to spools can all too easily upset rotational balance, something I wouldn't mess with personally, better to get a different spool. Randy is a great source for vintage reel parts, I got some great Squidder spools from him - [email protected]

Yes, static magging works extremely well. It's not as quick to adjust as with dynamic magging (but there's not enuf side plate to spool space for these reels to accept a dynamic knobby mag), but the quick side plate release on these Penn reels makes changing mags relatively easy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Given your available resources, I think the correct answer is a custom aluminum side plate with an adjustable magnet setup.
I'd guess the ribs will be fine as long as the spool is metal. You could always start with a quick static mag job, just to see if the spool slows down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dynamic magging sure do depend on spool to side plate available space. I don't see enuf for a Surfmaster or Squidder, but there's enuf for most domed side plate Abu's, such as this 6501 I magged about 5 years ago. The special domed plate (angled) knobby mag is available from https://surfcastproshop.com/ for $30.

a4.jpg

a1.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good info, thanks guys. I'll look around a bit and gather more info. I also have some other reels to consider for experimental mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That will be my first step, thanks dawg.
I also have an okuma contender 20-C but cant find any info for it ... other than line caps.
Anyone here at all familiar with this model ? I think its old, but not sure. It does have ball bearings tho.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did that about a week ago ..... never heard back from them.
Might try that again.
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mainly, if anyone has any experience with the model, or something similar from Okuma. Maybe the age of it ? There is zero mention of it anywhere that I can find on the web. Looked around quite a bit. It doesn't appear to need any parts, yet, that I can tell. I'm wondering if it might make a suitable surf caster. It has ample yardage cap for lighter line.
Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There's more than mention of the 20c, here's but one -

Keep bugging Okuma, they should come thru for you, but if the reel was mine I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd "field strip" it, pop out the spool bearings and let 'em soak in naphtha for a few hours, then dry out and put 2 drops of red rocket into each, reassemble the reel, put on some quality 14-16# mono, stick it on a good stick and see how she casts. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ... there ya go !
That'll be the plan then.
It's quite a bit lighter than the Squiddler and Surfmaster too !
Anxious to try it soon.
Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Other than those with plastic spools, most old Penns have those heavy, chromed, "flywheel" spools that can really add in the weight ... also, most are a good bit larger in both diameter and width than the typical Abu-like baitcaster. It's a good chance that Okuma you got will be a fine casting reel, as long as you do the proper prep, setup, and use a capable rod. Have fun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope to get a chance to open it up this weekend when back at the shop. One thing I was wondering, and was searching for but never found, was if it had any centrifugal braking. Maybe that is what the C represents ? That ad you linked calls it a trolling reel. I wouldn't expect a troller to have any sort of brakes. This one might be the best candidate for some magnets. BTW, both of the Penns I have definitely have the anodized alu spools.
We'll see ... soon,
Thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts