Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
does anyone have issues with sputnik weights in the surf? been using them when the current is bad with a fish finder rig and find my leader getting all tangled in the weight. are there any other weights that will stick in the sand that doesn't have the spikes shooting out?

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey all,
does anyone have issues with sputnik weights in the surf? been using them when the current is bad with a fish finder rig and find my leader getting all tangled in the weight. are there any other weights that will stick in the sand that doesn't have the spikes shooting out?
I use the frog tongue weights with success with the past weather. I have seen a few fishermen that use the storm weights. I have been using the 8oz with success and with server weather I may switch to the 10oz.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use them sparingly on Hi-lo rigs. I do not use them on FF rigs for the same reason you mention. I have have weights up to 12oz and the option to snap on 2 7s or 2 8s if its really brutal but there are times when a small boat anchor won't hold. I really would rather not spend the time throwing 14+ oz when I could curl 16+ oz at the watering hole and wait it out. Word of caution - make sure your rod can handle the weight. I have a few broomsticks specifically for the snottiest conditions and strong lateral currents.

I do like "Frog tongues" as an alternative option. When all else fails and you have a stretch of beach (and you are on a mission) try casting out and walking the beach in the direction your terminal tackle is heading. Rinse and repeat. Its a lot more work but can be very rewarding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use them sparingly on Hi-lo rigs. I do not use them on FF rigs for the same reason you mention. I have have weights up to 12oz and the option to snap on 2 7s or 2 8s if its really brutal but there are times when a small boat anchor won't hold. I really would rather not spend the time throwing 14+ oz when I could curl 16+ oz at the watering hole and wait it out. Word of caution - make sure your rod can handle the weight. I have a few broomsticks specifically for the snottiest conditions and strong lateral currents.

I do like "Frog tongues" as an alternative option. When all else fails and you have a stretch of beach (and you are on a mission) try casting out and walking the beach in the direction your terminal tackle is heading. Rinse and repeat. Its a lot more work but can be very rewarding.

I only have a rod rated for 1-4oz. not able to throw those big heavy weights

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only have a rod rated for 1-4oz. not able to throw those big heavy weights
You will be somewhat limited in rough conditions. Chances are the 1-4 rod does not throw the top end of the range as well as it does the middle. A frog tongue may be a good bet, a rod capable of throwing more weight may be a better bet for a future investment. Its tough to play a round of golf with only a pitching wedge in the bag.

Best of luck and tight lines - ATB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will be somewhat limited in rough conditions. Chances are the 1-4 rod does not throw the top end of the range as well as it does the middle. A frog tongue may be a good bet, a rod capable of throwing more weight may be a better bet for a future investment. Its tough to play a round of golf with only a pitching wedge in the bag.

Best of luck and tight lines - ATB

yeah I wish I had a beefier rod. how to the frog tongue and storm weights work?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I do recall reading somewhere (I think it was another thread on this forum)...that as a rule of thumb using a sputnik is about the equivalent of adding 2 ounces in weight. So in other words a 3 oz sputnik will hold about the same as a 5 oz pyramid. So by using sputniks you can cheat a little and stretch the limits of your rod. So if conditions call for a 5 oz pyramid, but your rod will only throw 3 oz...a 3 oz sputnik might do the trick.

·
Registered
177 Posts
just tie a different type rig. fishfinders dont work as people think. 3-4 foot piece of leaderr, blood dropper loop , swivel for line, snapswivel other end for sinker, loop size is your prefrenece. no tangles youll catch more fish ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to buy the bulldozer weights at the rod and reel shop in Supply, NC. Can't seem to find them anywhere else. They work really well

·
Registered
198 Posts
hey all,

When cast into swirling or rough seas, the leader will wrap up on the main line. Then when you reel in, the leader slides down against the grip wires of the sinker and leave you thinking the sinker done all that. Doesn't have to be rough water either, sometimes a rising tide will cause the leader to wrap up on the main line.

To lessen this you could use heavier leaders or shorten your leaders. I do not feel that switching sinkers is going to change much.

The FishFinder can and will also wrap up during the flight out.

You could try to extend the sinker away from the slide some more. Add a snap swivel to whatever kind of sinker slide you are using and see if that helps.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Anybody still use wing sinkers? I have a few left over from the last milleneum (the 1990's) but have been using storms and frog tounges. May pass my wings on to the grandchildren as family heirloom.

BA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts