Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, been reading these forums for a few years and 1st post. i dont surf fish alot but ussually spend a week at the beach every year. i striper and catfish a few times a week year round so i do fish alot. my question is on my surf set up for sharks. at night i sharkfish and have caught them up to about 5ft. my rod is a 11'penn with the biggest okuma baitrunner spinning reel with 65lb power pro braid. ive played around using a 40 lb shock leader tied with fg knot to main line then a swivel and steel leader and 10/0 circle hook. my question is do i really need the shock leader? before this year i did not know fg knot and was using uni to uni but luckily i found out before i hooked a fish that i could pull leader with my hand off main line after a night of fishign. it was becoming weak from the knot hitting the eyes of rod i guess. will fg be better since its a little slimmerf or should i just tie steel leader to braid. im not using any type of power cast just throwing it and im getting it about 75-85 yards out with 3 ounce sinker and bait. thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts