Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
If for surf a 10 to 12' ft is best b/c you can use it at pier also. Now for types of rods...that is truly up to how much $$ you want to pay. Do search and u should pull up plenty of previous arguments....uhh i mean posts on this subject.:D

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Fish Assategue Island a bit, and use Ocean Master rods (10' and 11') usually use 4 of them while out at the surf, with Penn 6500 reels. If surf fishing, want something that will handle up to at least 6oz plus bait (and depending on wind and currents up to 10oz.) Personally, use 15lb test for main line, with 30 - 40 lb test shock leader.

Don't know if this helps, but that's my two cents worth.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I really love the Sealine-X series for mid-range stuff. I'll probably pick up a Tica for heavier ocean work, though now I'm using a Breakaway.

I use Loomis for plugging.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There's no single right answer to that question.

Your physical size and build will make a big difference in what works for you.

Where and how you fish is equally important in rod selection.

If you are talking about casting bait in the surf, then the longest, heaviest and SLOWEST action you can COMFORTABLY handle will prove to be the most versatile.

Don't let the advertising hype fool you, a fast action rod sounds sexy, but they are harder to cast.

If you're going to do more Pier, Jetty and Bridge type fishing, with bait, then 8' to 10' is all the length you want, and heavy enough for 20# line.

I only drag out the 12 and 15 footers for on the beach in North Carolina. The surf breaks so far out on those shallow beaches that maximum distance is important, and keeping the line up high helps as well.

All the above applies primarily to bait fishing.

If you are going to cast bucktails, or other artificals, in my opinion, less is more. I like a light 8' rod with 15# line.

If cost is a factor, and it usually is, you can get away with an inexpensive "no name" bait rod.

But buy a good quality rod to cast lures. The inhanced performance and reduced fatigue will justify the expense.

You didn't ask about reels, but while I'm on the soap box, let me say this. Buy a reel for it's drag. This can't be overstated. ALL reels store and retreive line. The difference between a good reel and a bad reel is NOT what some guy on TV says about gear ratio's or graphics or exotic materials.

The established leaders in this field (Penn, Shimano, Diawa etc,) understand that the drag system is the essential element in a fishing reel, and thier products are impeccable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your helpful insights, I am really looking for a Rod for the outerbanks, I have a Penn 6500ss reel already but I need something that will help make up for my lack of surf casting experiance.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Like I said, really like my OM 10' and 11'. With my Penn 6500, they both cast eight ounce easily and 10 ounce in an emergency (the dreaded noreaster). Other sites have mentioned the Tica, but not real sure of the cost.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There are good locations on Hatteras Island, but you need a "Beach Buggy" to access most of them. Particularly down at the point.

Ocracoke and South have good surf fishing, but limited access.

If you're North of Oregon Inlet the beach is pretty shallow and without structure. There is 1 good spot just North of the "Research Pier" at Duck, but it's been closed to the public since 9/11.

They didn't build all those piers for nothing.

There's some good inlet fishing around Oregon Inlet and the bridges to Manteo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts