Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get into surf fishing. I recently purchased a Tica 11 ft graphite rod and an Okuma Coronado CD-90 reel.

I am very happy with the rod but wanted to know if the reel is too large for the 11 ft rod? Also, are there any Okuma Coronado owners out there? Are you happy with the reel? Has it held up well?

Thinking about trading in towards a Penn SS 7500 instead. How do the two compare? Is it worth the $60 difference? Any and all input welcome. Thanks.

-Florida Mike

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I've heard that the Coronado is a great reel for the money. It also has the bait feeder option on it which the Penn does not. I am currently using a Penn 7500SS and don't care much for it. In my experience dealing with reels, the Penn reels have alot of problems with corrosion and the anti-reverse is one of the first parts to malfunction. Okuma makes a good product whereas Penn has failed to do so for many years now.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hello FloridaMike,

Let me be the first to say welcome to P&S. The Okuma Coronado is a great reel, it is also a true saltwater reel. I would think that the CD-65 would have been a better choice for a 11' rod however.

In their first year or two, Okuma had some issues. They have fixed these problems now and IMHO they are setting a higher standard for everyone that makes rods & reels to live up to....Tightlines

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i agre with hagt I also have a Okuma reel and over the winter plan on buying some more for the next season.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Floridamike..... I have an Okuma I love. It's the Avenger.... The thing is bulletproof. I've dumped it twice, { these things happen } and no ill effects. I was kinda hesitant to buy it because of the price: just seemed kinda low. { it was my Mother's Day gift to myself lol }. The bait shop I got it from gave me an un-limitied warranty with it, and he said the only thing he wont cover is if I run over it with the truck. LOL . I fish it almost daily, and am going to get another one. I've been learning how to surf fish too, and am learning why the longer rods are a must. Just haven't decided which one I want yet. This reel has never "torqued" on me the way my Fin-Noir has, and I've had some nice fights with it. I wanted a Stratus when I bought this, and just couldn't swing the loot at the time. I think I STILL want the Stratuss but I will keep the Okuma for a daily driver.I'm a believer.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Me personally, my favorite rods and reels are a set of twins. Two 11' OMs, with Okuma Avengers attached. Have other surf rods (10' - 11') with Penn reels (6500), but the Okuma (oldest going into third season of AI) I feel are more bang for my bucks, that's why I bought the second one..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reel and Rod recommendation

Mike,
For surf fishing I would recommend A baitcaster, Daiwa has one called the millionaire that would be in your price range. A 9-10foot rod and you'll be able to cast over the sand bar where you'll find a lot of fish. Good Luck and keep your lines tight!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts