Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to the coast a couple times a year and do some surf fishing wherever we rent a house. I've been wanting to get a spinning rod setup to do some topwater with a plug and diamond jigs. I've had too much advice to make a decent decision on length, rod action, reel size, etc. I believe the last was a 8' medium steelhead rod with a 2500 size Penn on it. For only a couple times per year, I don't need too costly of a setup, but not junk either. Can y'all give me some help to get started? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tsunami Trophy 2 series rod. 9' 1-5 oz and Daiwa BG 3500 would be my choice. Setup should be around $200 new and last you years with good care.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any rig you choose will last a lifetime, properly maintained. I run both Penn and Diawa Bg, like them both a lot no real favorite....well maybe the penn. I get out as much as I can or what my wallet will allow, like you ( rent a house or get a room when available).

Shop deals, holidays, end the of the year ...thats my approach anyway. Playing the waiting game can land you some NICE stuff from 25-45% off. I scored a Lamiglas 9 ft Surf and Jetty for 100.00 and a Penn Slammer 4500 for 160.00 by this approach.

Like you, I was looking for top water, plug, silvers, ICWW and light(er) surf rig. Oh, if you find yourself in Surf City/Topsail say between Christmas and New Years, it would be wise to stick your head in East Coast Sports.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have several Sea Striker Beach Runner rods and I really like them. Nice surf rods for the money. I have a couple of Penn Prevail surf rods that I got as a combo deal. A friend has some of the Breakwater rods from BPS and they are pretty nice too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts