Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Getting set for a week long trip to Hunting island in August,I am looking for a general purpose rig to use on the beach( mostly throwing lures,but would like to try some bait fishing) then and whenever I can escape from Michigan in the future I have narrowed down the rod to either the Tica 9ft, 1/2 - 3 oz., medium action and the Tica 9ft,2-6oz.,medium heavy action. I just can't decide which rod! also,the spinning reel I am looking at is the Daiwa laguna,either the 4000(line capacity: 14lb./210 ,wt. 14 oz.)or 4500(line capacity: 14lb./290 ,wt. 21 oz.) model. Any thoughts would be appreciated,I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to freshwater fishing but, don't have a ton of experience when it comes to saltwater( got "hooked" on blues last summer in Cape Cod). I have enjoyed my time lurking here the last couple of weeks,Steve TIA

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd go with the lighter rod and the heavier reel.

The lighter rod simply because you'll do better casting lures with it. The heavier reel for the increased line capacity. Weight wise I don't think there is much difference between the 4000 and the 4500, is there?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would choose the heavier rod, with the larger capacity reel, as a combo, if I wanted to fish hardware and bait.

There's no law that says you can't use your favorite bass rod on the beach.

Casting distance can be important, on some beaches, but quite often there are "pan" fish in the soup, right at your feet.

I always set a big rod, with bait in a sand spike, and then cast a 6' or 7' rod, with hardware or a light bait rig.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
fishbonze said:
...I am looking for a general purpose rig to use on the beach( mostly throwing lures,but would like to try some bait fishing...
It's hard to have a rod/reel setup to do both types of fishing on the beach (Ocean? Hunting Island?). I have the 9' 1/2-3 oz Tica and use it for fishing the Chesapeake Bay, piers, and casting lures at the inlets (Indian River Inlet DE) and light lure (up to 3 oz) fishing in the Atlantic. For consistent Atlantic ocean fishing with lures (topwater poppers, large Hopkins, etc.) the rod is a little too short at 9'.

I love mine for just about all types of fishing though. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have the 9' TiCA 1/2-3 oz. surf spinning rod. I have used it primarily for throwing 3/4 oz. or 1 oz. metal at red drum. It throws 3/4 oz. pretty well. I have measured casts around 80 yards with this setup. The rod really doesn't load with this size lure though. When the Spanish mackerel are around, I throw 1 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. metal. It does much better with 1 1/2 oz. to 2 oz., easily reaching over 110 yards.

I think that this rod is an excellent value for the money. There are rods out there that will ouperform this rod, but, of those that I am aware, you will pay several times the cost of the TiCA.

I agree that the rod is short for general bait fishing though I have not used it for bait dunking. I probably will use it for live bait fishing for flounder or drum with up to a one oz. egg sinker, or similar, plus live finger mullet bait. I fish for both pretty close to the beach, so distance isn't a requirement.

Dan

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Smoothbore54 said:
I would choose the heavier rod, with the larger capacity reel, as a combo, if I wanted to fish hardware and bait.

There's no law that says you can't use your favorite bass rod on the beach.

Casting distance can be important, on some beaches, but quite often there are "pan" fish in the soup, right at your feet.

I always set a big rod, with bait in a sand spike, and then cast a 6' or 7' rod, with hardware or a light bait rig.

Couldn't have said it better myself....use my 10'6" for long distance bait, 7.5' freshwater flippin stick for metal, lures, or baitfishing the "ditch" (which is where I catch the most).;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
The light rod and the light reel. It will do 90% of what you want from the surf or pier. The only thing you won't be able to do is bait fish with heavy weights and big baits. The 9' Tica medium will throw a 3oz. and small bait as far as the average guy can throw it and is excellent for throwing lures. I know some of these longcasters could destroy it with 3oz. and bait but it is fine for a nice smooth cast .

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I also have the 9' TICA spinner rated to 3oz and I have thrown metals up to 2oz. It's been a great rod for the spanish and blues this summer in the OBX.
I have mine set up with an old Daiwa reel (so old my labels have rubbed off). It's a graphite reel and about the size of a Penn 6500. Being graphite it's light and balances pretty good. I'm looking at getting another reel for it. What is everyone else matching up their 9' TICA with?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
The perfect jetty setup

I matched up my 9' 1/2-3 oz Tica with a Mitchell 6500 Nautil reel and 30 lb test Spiderwire Stealth line. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks Guys,
Decided on the lighter setup, I will most likely be throwing lures more than throwing heavy lead,thanks for all your answers! Steve

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a Tica Camry GP4000H on my Tica 9" 1.5-3oz. and it is about as good as it gets for Spanish. It's a high speed 6.3. and takes in 40.5 inches of line with each handle turn. It holds about 300 yds of 14# test silver thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts