Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall slow week, relatively speaking since I had great surf conditions all week. IMHO Topsail would probably be the last place I would go for an exclusive fishing trip, but it's a family tradition and where the kids want to go. Just not a great fishing beach compared to Hatteras IMO. But I'm not going to the beach and not targeting the pomps. Caught several more throughout the week than what is pictured. Some citations and nice fish in the mix. Using Rich Vidulich float combinations on a FM type rig with shrimp fishbites (color varied to match the float). Nothing close in. Every single pomp came from as far as I could possibly throw it...beach is so flat past the breakers. If I could have thrown 50yds further I think I would have caught more. Beach was so crowded that I can only do an OTG type cast with my lead straight behind me. 20y ago Topsail was way more conducive to fishing, miss the "old days".

Food Photograph Vertebrate White Light

·
Registered
369 Posts
I love pomps to eat..........lets hope Hatteras has a few around. I will know in about 3-4 weeks. After that nearly month long trip In May I have lost my confidence that has been waning the last few years on surf fishing the OBX... I'm almost ready to start fishing from a boat again.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
NIce catch. The multiple years of beach renourishment has really affected the surf fishing at topsail. Fleas are hard to come by and it is even flatter than it used to be, the fishing is definitely not as good. Understand the reasoning for it, but it destroys the surf zone ecosystem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It sure does …such a bummer…EI did a renourishment winter /early spring 2021 and the surf zone habitat was really affected by it. Was there in July and almost no trace of sand fleas / glass minnows etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a coworker (in the ecosystem/coastal restoration industry) years ago Who did his masters and doctorate work on beach re-nourishment. He found Once you stop re-nourishing a beach, and theoretically never do it again, it takes it seven years to recover “biologically” to pre-nourishment conditions. No telling how it affects it if you continue to do that like topsail/other breaches do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There were tons of fleas and coquinas all over the beach, but too many bait pickers to use fleas as bait…hook would be picked clean in <5 min. Lot of schools of baby spot in the 1st gut, and even netted huge amounts of big pogies in the first gut as well…have never seen them come in so close. There are some BIG specks in that first gut…live bait….

They have been catching some monster pomps on Hatteras…5+lbs…

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are we talking about backing a dozer into the surf and pushing the sand back up onto the beach?
There’s a lot more to it. Most of the time they pump sand from a inlet or other area onto the beach and then spread it around with a dozer. It’s really rough on the critters that live in the surf. However I have had decent luck fishing on the edge of a project. It can create some structure.

Von

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes...I sure do miss those days of fishing in the 80's..I remember my grandpaw taking me down to outer banks and driving on beach...we would always stay at Oregon Inlet campground... we would always drive under bridge to fish on the other side...I don't know how he knew it...but lordy...he absolutely taught me how to catch flounder there...we fished that same spot the day before a tropical storm come through...needles to say we filled the cooler up...and of course like all the dredgeing going on now..
That tropical storm come through that night and not even one bite

1 - 15 of 15 Posts