Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "reel" question.Can you use a daiwa saltist 50, or fin-nor offshore stardrag 30 for surf fishing on a 12 ft. rod?Also the FN 30 has a 35 lb. max drag vs. the saltist 50 @ 22 lb.max.I thithe FN 30 would be a great shark reel,but the guy at bass pro told me that you wouldn't realy be able to cast them very far.I now have a 12 ft. beefstick with a pfleuger 50 high speed reel with 30 lb. mono, and with ease I can run atleast half a spool out on casting with 4 and bait.Any feedback would be great

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
you are built a lot bigger than me. half spool is 400' or so. most guys use a 30 size reel and 15-20 test. shock leader, bite leader,etc. as for drag, its a learning curve. longer fight for less drag, but fewer break offs to.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actualy i'm not that big at all thats the funny part all the guys i fish with are bigger than me and they're always talking about how far i can cast.They all had jokes when I went from my 9 footer to my first 12 footer,but now they seemed to stop they're laughter when we hit the beach and they're barely making it to the breakers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well personally i think the finnor would be an over-load, you most likely would have to be quite big to cast a 12' plus a finnor reel on top! Id go with the saltist, they are good casters and are very nice reels! The saltists also gives you the advantage of fewer breakoffs (like stated previously), smaller drag + More line = better fight and less breakoffs! But this also states you will have to use smaller diameter line and if a big boy comes up, he will have you screaming your guts out! Ok as far as the beef stick goes, they are telephone poles! I bought an 11'er and was barely able to cast it becouse of how heavy the rod was plus the weight of the bait and reel! Now picture this i was using a penn sargus sg 6000 which weighs around 20 oz and i was barely able to cast it( remember im 13 and 5'5"), now take off the sargus add a bigger and heavier rod and a reel twice the size of mine! I were you id save that reel for when you can yak a bait out! Youl usually have more than enough on the daiwa anyways! Luck and, tight lines!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the advice,but i just got back from basspro.I got the saltist 50 and a spool of 40lb. ande,I'm going out sunday morning and see if i can get some wins with it.Will post my results on monday.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well personally i think the finnor would be an over-load, you most likely would have to be quite big to cast a 12' plus a finnor reel on top! Id go with the saltist, they are good casters and are very nice reels! The saltists also gives you the advantage of fewer breakoffs (like stated previously), smaller drag + More line = better fight and less breakoffs! But this also states you will have to use smaller diameter line and if a big boy comes up, he will have you screaming your guts out! Ok as far as the beef stick goes, they are telephone poles! I bought an 11'er and was barely able to cast it becouse of how heavy the rod was plus the weight of the bait and reel! Now picture this i was using a penn sargus sg 6000 which weighs around 20 oz and i was barely able to cast it( remember im 13 and 5'5"), now take off the sargus add a bigger and heavier rod and a reel twice the size of mine! I were you id save that reel for when you can yak a bait out! Youl usually have more than enough on the daiwa anyways! Luck and, tight lines!
My saltist is going on a team daiwa interline 12' surf rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.