Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to fishing the surf. Bought an inexpensive rod/reel combo in the fall- want to upgrade now. I want to spend about $200 for the reel for casting 1 to 5 ounce lures ,any suggetsions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Neophyte

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I LIVE ON LONG ISLAND. ON THE NORTH SHORE I WAS TOLD THAT A 9' ROD WAS GOOD , BUT ON THE SOUTH SHORE UP TO 11' WAS GOOD. I'LL PROBABLY SETTLE ON A 10' TO USE IN BOTH AREAS. I'LL PROBABLY WILL USE IT OFF THE JETTYS AS WELL. I'D LIKE TO GET A ONE PIECE, BUT WILL PROBABLY NEED TO GET A 2 PIECE FOR EASIER TRANSPORT. I'LL SPEND AROUND $200 FOR THE ROD PROBABLY A LAMI OR ST. CROIX.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Daiwa Emblem-X 4500 T on a Tica 10'6" rod.(UEHA632002S) You can get this outfit for around $200. I have a lot of equipment including G Loomis, Lamiglas and St Croix. I recently purchased this outfit and love it. I don't know if it will last as long as the more expensive stuff but it performs as well so far.
Just an option you might consider.

Tight lines....

Ken

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hey,neophyte- welcome to the surf fishing world! I'd suggest you consider the Penn combos; I've fished the Penn S/S series reels for about 20 yrs. and have never been disapointed with their preformance or reliability.I own just about every one from the 420ss that is on a 6' ultralight for fresh-H2O fishing and light action salt-H20 (great for Speckles) to the 950ss that switches from a Penn 6' heavy boat rod (that will reel in 70# yellowfin or 30# amberjack) to a 11.5'Finwick Big SurfStick. A 10' Penn Slammer surf rod with a 750ss or 850ss would be in the price range and will be a good reliable combo for years of surf fishing. Besides they're american made right next door in Pa.-BUY AMERICAN!!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Just a note TimS at stripersonline.com has the Nautlis Reels on sale for $30.00 off(abgout 20%) and for those guys who may dunk a spinner sounds lihe a good deal. I don't know how long it will last. (standard speed seems to be the way to go)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fish the North Shore of Long Island, and I'm using a 9' Team Daiwa and a Nautil 6500 reel and love it. If you go 10' or longer on the rod, you will probably want the Nautil 7500. One important consideration is whether or not you plan on using braided line. If so, the Nautil's a pleasure and the Penn is a pain in the neck. By the way, if you go with a Nautil, get the Yellow one, it's got different gearing than the black model and seems to be more trouble free based on the posts I've watched over a period of time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Had a black Nautil Pro GV 6500 since it was made available in the states summer of 2001. It worked like a champ for the first season and quickly became my favorite reel. Toward the end of this past summer the gears stripped on a large ray. Sent the reel back to Pure Fishing and swapped for a yellow Nautil Pro 6500. New model arrives with a cracked seal hidden under the rubber housing and a "Made in Korea" sticker so it was replaced with a Shimano.

The reel was sweet while it lasted. Fit 300 yards of 30 lb Power Pro on the aluminum spool. Balanced perfectly with a 10' Ben Doerr too. Unfortunately the reel has too many problems for a $150+ reel.

As for Pure Fishing, their customer service is excellent. They replaced the reel and shipped me a new seal immediately. Have no problems doing business with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kenmefish,
I see the Tica rod you recommend
has cork grips. I'm curious, do you like those better for surf fishing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
neophyte,

I agree with jay b. I'm sold on Penn myself.
But, I want to clarify something. Jay b has the hundred series (650ss, 850ss, etc.); not the thousand series (6500ss, 8500ss, etc.). The hundred series reels were better because they were made with a navel bronze main gear. The thousand series came afterwards, and were made with an aluminum main gear (not as good, but still durable enough). Both models have been discontinued, but you can still find a lot of dealers with the thousand series. A "still-in-the-box" hundred series reel would be a bugger to come by.

Bottomfisher

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have a Tica 10'6 spinning rod with a cork handle and it feels much more comfortable in your hands then the foam handle. I have some smaller inshore rods with both handles and the cork gives provides better sensitivity. I also think it's a matter of preference.

Hey bottomfisher - I think Penn is still making the thousand series under the Spinfisher SS model - it's in their website and you know if it on the web then it has to be true ;). I have a 12 yr old 6500SS and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
797 Posts
RL or neophyte, in your opinion(s) are any fish(strippers) left on the northshore of L.I. this time of year? if not, when is the best time of year for fishing stripped bass in that area?

ralph

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Howard Stern always talks about going to SCORZ to see strippers but I think that's in Midtown and not on the north shore of LI.

Sincerely,
Another P&S Smarta##
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
797 Posts
oh, ooh, oooooh its on now.

ralph

·
Registered
797 Posts
i thought guiliani got rid of all uz smarta$$ guys?

ralph

·
Registered
2 Posts
This year? I think the inshore stripers on the North Shore of Long Island are almost nonexistant. This is the season that never happened. There might be a few by the LIPA outflow, but I'm not ready to walk a mile of beachfront in this weather to find out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts