Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know what the total weight carrying capacity of the Surf Mate 10 Rod carrier is? Why mfg.'s don't make this common knowledge is beyond me. I want to put a Rtic 110 loaded with ice in for the trip but I can't find the capacity for the carrier !!! TIA

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Why would you need that big of cooler on the beach unless it was loaded down with PBRs and you had planned for a few guests and some beach bunnies. Why even do all that work? A 45 from that manufacturer will suit your needs

If you want to pull that monster out to the beach and it will fit in your cart , Hace At It. But pulling on that cart handle puts a lot of stress in the handle and the small welds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was referring to the truck mounted rod/cooler carrier not the surf cart, I load it with free ice I get at work and the cooler never leaves truck carrier. Also put my perishable foods in too. I've had the cooler/rod carrier way before I got the big rtic and am having a hard time finding the tongue load capacity for the carrier. It carries the 90qt. igloo loaded just fine but the rtic probably weighs 40+lbs more. I 'm thinking I read somewhere the load cap was 250 but I'm not sure. I'd hate to be rolling 80 on 64 east and hit a bump and drop that big ass cooler in front of me or anyone else.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
OK I gotcha... Sorry and just speaking for myself. Free Ice and dealing with a huge cooler to carry it in is not worth the trouble to me. With a moderate size premium cooler like a 65 qt is far more practical. Ice is not that big of an expense

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I know someone who dropped his giant cooler rod rack in front of him and then ran over into the rack....cooler....rods....

There was debris scattered all over French Fry Alley in KDH.

I seem to remember a weld broke on one side when the truck hit a bump or pothole and then the weld on the other broke also and everything was loose. Not a class 3 hitch attachment.

I will not say who it was but the rods that were damaged were all high dollar sticks and the vehicle was a suburban....and the rack was history. It was one of those super aluminum wide as the front of the truck super rigs.

I confess to never having a rack on any of the beach vehicles I have owned. Perhaps one day, but I do not it is real irritating to me to have to watch fishing rods bounce around mile after mile on the highway. Perhaps the main reason is that reels get sand in them and rods left un-attended in racks sometimes walk off all by themselves. I tie one on the roof rack from time to time, but the coolers have always ridden inside either a SUV or a Pickup bed.

However I can understand Free Ice so if you are concerned with overloading I would put secondary turnbuckles or tie down straps somewhere secure to help the primary hitch.

I guess the other issue with racks is when you get on a steep OBX ramp and bottom the rack out on the incline or decline.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
According to Fish-n-mate the weight capacity of the surf mate 692 10 rod/120qt. w/2" receiver carrier is 250 lbs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And to add more useless info that you may never need ... a 10 pound bag of ice takes up app. 8.75 qrts. of space and the Rtic 110 filled with machine ice should weigh about 175 lbs. (cooler weight included). :geek:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
And when you hit a bump or dip multiply that number by a factor of at least two. The aluminum used on these Surf mate rod racks is very soft and not aircraft quality . The only Rack I do subject treatment as you describe would be to a Reynolds Rack.

But you are getting Free Ice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts