Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because I have had a terrible record this past year of traveling from Columbia, SC to Fort Fisher and Wilmington only to find the surf and winds too high to make the trip worth while, I have joined Surfline.com to get their forecasts for surf levels geared toward Surfers but also works for us the surf fishers.

It's gonna cost me about $10 a month but that beats the heck of two tanks of gas for each trip only to be faced with poor conditions.

As such, I am going to share these forecasts with this forum for both Hatteras and South NC.:):):)

Enjoy::D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ft Fisher Surf Forcast this weekend

High pressure is over the East Coast region and will remain in place through Thursday. Low pressure in the western Atlantic interacting with the EC high has set up a solid ENE/NE fetch of winds. A weak surface low will push through the NE US region late Thursday/early Friday. Potential exists for a costal low to develop over the weekend off the coast of NC.

Thurs: SURF: 1-2 ft - knee to thigh high...E background swell

Friday: SURF: 1-2 ft - knee to thigh high...E background swell

Sat: SURF: 1-2 ft - knee to thigh high...SW windswell

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hatteras--OBX Surf Forecast

High pressure is over the East Coast region and will remain in place through Thursday. Low pressure in the western Atlantic interacting with the EC high has set up a solid ENE/NE fetch of winds. A weak surface low will push through the NE US region late Thursday/early Friday. Potential exists for a costal low to develop over the weekend off the coast of NC – we will be watching this scenario closely.

As a result, E/ENE swell will be in the water Wednesday and Thursday. Leftover swell/local windswell mix is in the water for Friday. After that we will be watching a surface low as it tracks out of TX and towards the NC coast – this low may turn out to be a solid wave maker for the region.

Thur: SURF: 3-4 ft. - waist to chest high...ENE swell with favorable wind

Fri: SURF: 2-3 ft - thigh to waist high....ENE swell leftovers/NE windswell begins to develop late.

Sat: SURF: 4-5 ft. - shoulder to head high...Building NE windswell, larger size end of day

·
Registered
263 Posts
As a surfer I can tell you that Surfline is good, but the premium service is no better than http://magicseaweed.com/ and doesn't have as good pictures. Check Rutgers, NOAA and any offshore buoy report and average it out for a half a$$ idea. Check out http://www.sncsurf.com/ for some good links as well. Weather and swell are good to know, but not as good as knowing what do with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Surf\Swell

Don't want to ask too stupid of a question but what means good fishing and what means bad fishing and how they relate to the Surf/Swell readings?:)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
High surf and high winds means you will not hold the bottom without heavy duty weights if at all, plus the water will be cloudy and you will also be miserable dealing with the wind. Better off staying home and watching football

·
Registered
99 Posts
Damn I'll be down @ morehead next week, guess I might be doing more sound/inlet fishing than I thought. Hoping the weed doesn't get stirred up too bad. Conditions can change too :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I will be at the north end of CB Friday night , the Fort Saturday and anyone guess come Sunday. Hoping to get any type of fishing I can on this trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts