Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for a surf fishing workshop in mid October offered by the Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. Joe Malat is supposed to do at least some of the teaching for a day and then it's out to Cape Lookout for practice.

Has anyone else taken the workshop? I think it's usually fairly full and I just wondered what anyone else thought of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Malat teaches a good course. It will be worth it. But you could buy the little manuals he sells for like $5 and get most of the same info. Actually you could ask this board for most of the same info and they would provide it for free. Probably even tell you where to get a decent rod for cheap!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aquarium Calendar

If you go out to the web site for the aquarium, you can find the calendar, and a link to a small blurb about the course:

http://www.ncaquariums.com/cgi-bin/calendar.pl?calendar=pks1&month=10

After I signed up, they sent more info.

You're probably right about the book (I think I already have it) but there's nothing like a live teacher.

·
Registered
823 Posts
joe malat 's course should be well worth the money............... never took a course but have read his books............ well worth the $$$$$$

·
Registered
4 Posts
surf fishing workshop

Malat's workshops are well worth the money. His books are great, but in person he'll teach you a lot more.

He's a surf fishing veteran. I fished with him years ago and he has a gift for sharing what he knows. . .

Enjoy yourself and catch one for me. . .

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hey OldMc

I have worked with Joe at some of his classes helping with some of the beach instruction. He is first class, it will be well worth the money. Mack Currin works with him at some of the classes, if he is there you are in for a treat, he is a trip. All in all his book is good but a couple things have changed since he wrote it. Joe and I are good friends, he wrote for the Magazine I once had, The Sportfishing Report. He is very good at passing along what he knows.
The Image below is his lovely wife Nell on the cover of the Report.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.