Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much but this forum has served me well for my yearly beach vacation where I try to fish as mush as my family will allow. I went from a rented rod on North Topsail back in 2009 or 2008 to having so much gear that I am embarrassed since I live 6+ hours from a beach.

This year, we are heading back to Satellite Beach, FL which has coquina rocks/reefs close to shore. I prefer soaking bait over using lures so I want to avoid the snags. I think there was a beach nourishment there recently but I doubt they covered all the reefs. We were there two years ago for Thanksgiving, and I lost so much gear that week with the rocks. However, the last few days of that trip I sort of figured it out and had my best surf fishing experiences ever (structure brings the fish in). I was fishing right behind the shore break with great success catching blues, black drum, margates, speckled trout, spanish macs, small permits, whiting, and sharks. This time, I would like to cast further out without taking out a small loan to cover all the gear I lost the last time.

Is there a way to use a bottom rig in rocks/reef while surf fishing? I found some things online with people hooking floats to the hooks or trying planers but I haven't really found anything conclusive. I tried weighted bobbers from the local tackle shop there but they never stayed still with the waves plus I didn't catch a single fish using them. I didn't lose any gear with the bobbers though.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Seems like if you're catching that many fish you should keep doing what you're doing. There's not much you can do with bottom rigs in rocks especially when you need a long cast. It's inevitable but I've seen sinkers with a kind of wing that supposedly helps lift your rig when you start reeling with a high rod tip. Other than that ask those local bait shops what they recommend. Floats or topwater baits would be a decent way to do it but the float is going to move with the wind, waves, and tide (which is not a bad thing if you're actively fishing one rod).

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
If the rocks were also close to shore I wish I could fish there with a DOA Night Glow 1/4 OZ. Shrimp. The hook rides up and the lure can be slowly fish in and around the rocks. I caught loads of snook, flounder, and trout with the DOA Shrimp. Dose your beach look anything like this?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I like to fish New River Inlet in NC, most of it has structure to get your line snagged, read a article years ago in Saltwater sportsman magazine about placing your sinker inside a plastic whiffle ball, I used the practice golf ball size, bank sinkers are easier to push inside the ball with just a few small cuts and have stayed inside the ball so far for me, simple and it works, not to say your hook cannot get snagged but that has not been a problem for me, hope this helps, good luck,...pop.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I can catch fish there but I would like to get bait amongst the rocks for a chance at some bigger fish. I may look into putting the sinker in a ball idea.

this video gives you an idea of what the beach is like there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts