Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have done mostly outer banks pier fishing and are looking to try Sandy Point and surf fishing. What kind of rigs to we need for this? And what bait, etc should we use. Thanks much folks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome Domestic Goddess The majority use Hi -lo rigs with various size hooks for fish targeted. I like the long black Hi-lo rigs with 2/0 hooks and minimum four oz storm or pyramid sinkers.Don't use bank or egg sinkers because they will roll with the current.Blood worms are a good all around bait of choice.when they start selling spot that is an even better bait. Also chicken breast soaked in peeler oil or regular.Squid is good also.Bring sand spikes definately. I hope this was a little helpful.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Peeler oil is basically "crab" oil (reall smelly). I use a 12 ft with at least 5 oz. Distance is quite important at SPSP. As far as type of pole, in my opinion go with the one you're comfortable with, but you'll need at least a 10ft. The croakers are killing the bloodworms, they've basically ignored my squids, so forget them. Hope this helps..
BTY, I was there last night from 7:00-10:20 PM and caught 19 croakers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Domestic_goddess,

Sandy Point is a hard place to start various reasons. I suggest that you visit a few fishing piers to see what other anglers are using on the bay. Consider Matapeake and Romancoke to start. You can find the pier info on the left hand Pier & Surf menu bar under "Hot Spots." Pick a Friday on Saturday evening after 5pm. I prefer a 12' rod to general fishing in the bay on at a pier. I use shorter rods on a bridge such as Choptank. You must match the bait to the fish, so ask questions and take notes. In a few months you'll be a pro. If you wish to fish the above listed piers while you are there I suggest that you use a sinker that is 4oz or more and take along bloodworms, raw people shrimp and cut spot. Until 11pm last night at Matapeake they caught mainly Croakers but a few blues are in the water. The Bluefish will take the spot. I hope this helps, if not let me know.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I fish the jetties with lures and the beach with bait. Summertime on the jetties (at first light) works great for me. Lots of stripers and blues on topwater plugs and metal/teaser combos. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts