Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done mostly pier fishing and I would like to try some surf fishing. Any thing special I need to know?

Thanks,

2broke2buyaboat

"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!! :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Don't cast over the fish, yes a lot of fish are at the end of a long cast, but also have a rod to fish the drop off. I have caught a lot of fish at my feet.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
dont matter how far you cast its the bait you use :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I agree with the bait thing to a certin extent, but if you cast a good bait into water with no fish will you get a bite. I think the most productive way to fish is a combination of the two.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2broke2buyaboat

If you want a cheap intro to surf fishing, look through all the posts, articles on this site.

If you want a quicker hit, read the little book on Surf Fishing put out by Joe Malat from the Outerbanks...this one is a good quick reference.

Anybody on these boards can get you started with tackle, just ask and give your price range.

Otherwise, just like all fishing...start with the fish your targeting. Figure out it's habits...helps you decide season, when and where to fish; what it eats...your bait, etc. Learn how tides effect a beach...you almost always want some current, low tides are a good time for scouting a beach, hard rising and hard falling tides are usually the best times to fish. Dawn and dusk increase your chances, night fishing can be phenomenal...and you miss the crowds.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts