Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I will be in Hilton Head SC from January to April in a house that has beach access. I was just curious about surf fishing during those months. Is it worth giving it a try and what exactly could I catch (and don't say a cold). Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
You will have some whiting, rays, dog sharks, possible sturgeon but it will be really slow for the most part. In march or April it can pic up a little more some red and black drum more whiting and some sandbar and sandtiger sharks and more ray species. But expect slow fishing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will have some whiting, rays, dog sharks, possible sturgeon but it will be really slow for the most part. In march or April it can pic up a little more some red and black drum more whiting and some sandbar and sandtiger sharks and more ray species. But expect slow fishing
Have you ever caught anything in the surf in January/Feb or will I be just killing time trying?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Are there inshore charters available in January/Februrary?
Yeah definitely. We get nearshore sheepshead in the winter, too.

Have you ever caught anything in the surf in January/Feb or will I be just killing time trying?
You have a chance of red drum, black drum, and whiting year round. There are also dogfish and clearnose skate in the winter. But you can go a hours without anything eating a live shrimp which means it's pretty dead out there.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I vacation at HH two or three times a year and from experience January thru March are pretty dead in the surf. The water is pretty shallow and flat along the beaches and tend to not hold many fish during that time of year. But you never know. However, if you have the ability to fish the lagoons over in Palmetto Dunes, I highly recommend it. There is a very healthy population of trout and redfish in there. I have very good luck fishing artificial lures with bass tackle. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts