Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has surf fished @ Grandview Nature Preserve. Seems like a great place. Esp where the old light house use to be. Still a rock island there. Thinking there be some fish that swim/feed through there. Read up on a old thread on here about the area but nothing was mention about fishing only regulations that we have to obey. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Walked out there twice and caught a bunch blues on metal

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Apparently, the no wheeled vehicle sign blows away every now and again. It's a shame the don't attach it better so no one will take a bike or fishing cart with their kid in it fishing there...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt think the no wheel vehicle sign applies to fishing carts. Thought it was towards golf carts or atv's. Wow I will keep that in mind if I do decide to go fishing there. Thanks for the tip guys. Emdboarder when did you catch all them blues on metal? I heard that area was a good blue fish spot.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
According to the dictionary, a wheeled vehilce is anything with wheels that can convey a person or is conveying a person.

Check the signature line at the bottom of the letter from the head man-"protecting the people from the resource and the resource from the people" Hmm , surely a resource is something to be used.

Mr. Lopez,

Regarding your e-mail below, the park opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. Wheeled vehicles are Not Allowed in the preserve.

All City, State and Federal Laws apply to Grandview Nature Preserve & Factory Point. There is NO alcohol, camping or tents allowed. There are also NO open fires, grills or motorized vehicles allowed. Pets are banned April 1 - September 15th. Please stay off the dunes and out of posted bird nesting areas. Entering into designated posted bird nesting areas is a violation of law. All laws are strictly enforced. This area is patrolled by City, State and Federal Law Enforcement officers. Any violations observed will be enforced.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Arthur Mertz

Chief Park Ranger

Hampton Parks & Recreation Dept.

1255 Big Bethel Road

Hampton, Virginia 23666

Ph. (757) 825-4620

Fax. (757) 825-4658

www.hampton.gov/parks

Protecting the people from the resource, and the resource from the people.

Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:18 PM
To: Jameson, Pamela
Subject: Grandview nature preserve.

Good afternoon Ms. Jamesone. Thank for for the help on the telephone earlier.

I would like to come to visit Grandview Nature Preserve in the near future with my 2 ear old daughter. As I would like to be in compliance with any rules that are applicable to the reserve, please could you send me a e-mail with the current rules that are in effect. It is my understaing that new signs have been placed at the entrance to the Preserve staing the Reserve is open from 7am instead of sunrise(as stated in the Peserve website) and also that no wheeled vehicles are allowed(it is stated in the website that bicycles are allowed) As I will be bringing a bicycle with a child seat to access the Preserve more easily with my daughter, it is of the utmost importance that I am fully compliant with the rules as a trip to Granview from Richmond(where we live ) is quite a way and an expense.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Yours sincerely,

Darren and Louisa Lopez.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Yes, so by the definition you provided, a fish cart would not be a wheeld "vehicle". :D

According to the dictionary, a wheeled vehilce is anything with wheels that can convey a person or is conveying a person.

Check the signature line at the bottom of the letter from the head man-"protecting the people from the resource and the resource from the people" Hmm , surely a resource is something to be used.

Mr. Lopez,

Regarding your e-mail below, the park opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. Wheeled vehicles are Not Allowed in the preserve.

All City, State and Federal Laws apply to Grandview Nature Preserve & Factory Point. There is NO alcohol, camping or tents allowed. There are also NO open fires, grills or motorized vehicles allowed. Pets are banned April 1 - September 15th. Please stay off the dunes and out of posted bird nesting areas. Entering into designated posted bird nesting areas is a violation of law. All laws are strictly enforced. This area is patrolled by City, State and Federal Law Enforcement officers. Any violations observed will be enforced.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Arthur Mertz

Chief Park Ranger

Hampton Parks & Recreation Dept.

1255 Big Bethel Road

Hampton, Virginia 23666

Ph. (757) 825-4620

Fax. (757) 825-4658

www.hampton.gov/parks

Protecting the people from the resource, and the resource from the people.

Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:18 PM
To: Jameson, Pamela
Subject: Grandview nature preserve.

Good afternoon Ms. Jamesone. Thank for for the help on the telephone earlier.

I would like to come to visit Grandview Nature Preserve in the near future with my 2 ear old daughter. As I would like to be in compliance with any rules that are applicable to the reserve, please could you send me a e-mail with the current rules that are in effect. It is my understaing that new signs have been placed at the entrance to the Preserve staing the Reserve is open from 7am instead of sunrise(as stated in the Peserve website) and also that no wheeled vehicles are allowed(it is stated in the website that bicycles are allowed) As I will be bringing a bicycle with a child seat to access the Preserve more easily with my daughter, it is of the utmost importance that I am fully compliant with the rules as a trip to Granview from Richmond(where we live ) is quite a way and an expense.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Yours sincerely,

Darren and Louisa Lopez.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Would be if you were hauling your kid in it. Really it would all depend on what Officer you had to deal with and what kind of mood he was in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has surf fished @ Grandview Nature Preserve. Seems like a great place. Esp where the old light house use to be. Still a rock island there. Thinking there be some fish that swim/feed through there. Read up on a old thread on here about the area but nothing was mention about fishing only regulations that we have to obey. :D
Did you ever give this spot a try? I'm trying to find out information as I just found this area on the map, but have never seen it mentioned in any fishing reports.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have fished the old lighthouse rock pile by wading out a little way and hit it up with a Berkley gulp minnow on a bass pro shop flounder rig and caught some small flounder and a blue. If you walk all the way to the end where the Back River meets the Bay, you can cast along the channel I got a whiting/kingfish/sea mullet (guess they have all sorts of names) on a pink squid fishbite on a fish finder rig. If you fish the Back River side and fish along the channel, you can catch enough croaker and spot to make a meal for three! I have also caught a ray my very first cast fishing there. The gear I was using was a 7foot med-heavy rod with 20lb mono w/1oz weights on the rigs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts