Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed down to Cape San Blas for the week of May 15 and am looking for tips or suggestions for surf or bay shore fishing at that time of year. I have never fished the gulf coast of Florida (my experience is limited pretty much to North Carolina) and can use all the help I can get. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding good locations, bait (and where it can be found or caught) or how in general to fish the gulf coast (or bays). I am not interested in shark fishing and prefer to target fish I can put in a pan.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I fished there last March 12-18.

There is not much surf fishing going on there in the North Carolina variety.

I took my long rods like I was going to NC and I did not see anyone else with that sort of gear.

The fishing was not all bad but we were too early for the Pompanos.

The last day we were there everything was changing with large bait balls moving along the beach and fish chopping them. Looked like false albacore but could have been Spanish.

I could cast past the bar pretty easy and the last night we were there I threw out a whiting head on my 12 ft rod and got spooled by something huge. It burnt of 150 yards of line and never slowed down.

I think that in May there are a lot of skipjack that keep you rebaiting all the time. There are a lot of sharks. There are a lot of nice holes along the beach on the south end between the rocks and the campground/inlet. There are a lot of sheepies caught from the rocks.

I think it is a great place to fish and sort of a secret.......I found some sand fleas down toward the park. You can't drive on the beach down there so you got to have a good cart. The closer to the park or in the park the closer to the point the better.

There is a fish market on the road off the cape that sells table shrimp that work great for bait. They also have frozen bait. The bait shop on the cape only has frozen pink shrimp that will catch nothing but hard heads. Bring a sand flea rake and a ghost shrimp pump and get all the bait you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. Pompanos would be nice, but I most likely will be a little late for them. Hopefully something good will be running in mid May. Not hard heads, I already caught my fair share of those when I lived in Texas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts