Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going to Topsail this fall to fish. Is the surf fishing any good? Any particular places better than others. Never been before, si any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
go down to the southern point, but be prepared to walk a bit. a gear caddy is a must. a fish finder rig with squid or fresh cut bait works real well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
TOPSAILBUM, what kind should one expect to catch at the south end? Is the north end worth trying?
KB

·
Registered
823 Posts
YOU CAN CATCH DRUM, BLUES.....oops spanish and blues on gotchas if you have a good casting rod. flounder. alot of it depends on how strong the rips are coming out of the inlet

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fished the south end, Friday evening for a couple of hours before sundown. Just carried my favorite light metal rod and a small fanny pack and walked the beach. Picked up a couple of blues. Both fish were caught on a gold Kastmaster. One fish was about 4 lb. and put up a good scrap on my light surf gear. I released it. I picked up the other blue just before quitting for the night. It went home with me for Saturday dinner. It was a delicious meal. Nothing beats a 2-3 lb. bluefish if it is cleaned immediately and prepared within 24 hours of coming out of the water.

No sign of red drum. I usually pick up a couple when working this stretch of beach in the late evening with a 3/4 oz., gold Kastmaster fished in the right places. Didn't see any signs of Spanish either, but for a half hour I watched three or four gulls working far out on the shoals near the inlet. Didn't see many gulls or terns working the shoreline all evening, though. A slightly nippy wind was out of the northeast, probably about 10. Maybe it was the breeze, but the water felt a little on the cool side to me also.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts