Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M NEW TO SURF FISHING. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE PROPER WAY TO HOLD AND RELEASE THE LINE WHEN SURF CASTING. USING A 9 FT SURF ROD WITH OPEN FACE REEL.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
iT'S SORT OF A NATURAL thing.Grab your rod"firmly"with both hands,right hand on top.Twist your body 90 degrees to the right.Jiggle the rod so it starts to swing,not too easy , not too hard.Just at the right time(you'll know when)flick the face.That will prime it for release.Angle 180" to the left.Now very hard now sling it to the left and lift your grip.If you see the big weight flying over the breakers you have been successfull.Hope this helps. the R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, but still don't understand. i'm alright with the mechanics, but don't understand how to hold and release the line. i tryed holding the line against the handle of the real and releasing with the cast, but can't cast 3 oz weights, can't hold the line. what is the proper teqnuiqe for holding and releasing the line.

·
Registered
186 Posts
PAPPYD,
You hold the line as you would on any other spinning (open faced) reel. Grasp the rod with your right hand on top, depending on the size of the reel you can put the reel stem (part that connects reel to rod) between you're ring finger and little finger or leave your right hand completely above the stem. It just depends on what is comfortable for you. Regardless, pick up the line with your first finger, flip the bail over and cast as normal. BE SURE to LOCK DOWN THE DRAG. This will prevent the drag from slipping during the power portion of the cast and keep you from cutting your finger. Also as Big Bro said, try to find somebody near you as this is much easier when you can see whats going on.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the great info. when you pick up the line with your first finger of right hand, do you hold it between finger and thumb or between your finger and the rod handle??? sorry for being an idiot, but i live in the mountains and have used closed face reel for bass and trout, and even fly fished for both, but have never used open face reels.
thanks again for helping this poor dumb hillbilly!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
suggest you go to an open field with a 4 oz weight and try casting. Let the rod do the work - . There are a number of books on the subject that cover casting to making your own rigs and tying on leeders. Called East Coast fishing.

Most of all ejoy!

·
Registered
801 Posts
i live in asheville, in western nc, be glad to help you any way i can, just keep in mind that i am a dyed in the wool conventional fisherman. charlie farmer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!
i live in west virginia. have a home near holden beach nc. been comeing down for twenty years, but just bought the house about a year ago. lord willing will retire there in a couple years. going down the end of may. i'll let you know how i do.
again, thank you

·
Registered
239 Posts
PAPPYD,
Try thinking of the pole as an extension of your arm and you are trying to throw that lead where you want it to go. The key is the release point. Try practicing with short casts until you get the feel for it and then you can go for power/distance. Most fish caught in the surf are just behind the breakers or in the wash, so you don't have to be a weightlifter to get it to them.
Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pappy,
Cdog is right, hold the line with your first finger between finger and rod. However, dont pinch the line against the rod. Just crook your finger enough to hold the line.
Tight lines and popped riggers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts