Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked for a good video that shows the different types of casts used from the surf and I've been unable to find one. Most of the good videos focus on just one cast, and the Hatteras cast isn't seen much at all. So I took my camera to the field this week and made my own.

I recorded the Fishing OTG (not a full-rotation, tournament cast), the Hatteras and the Uni-Tech. I didn't have time to do a full instructional video, though that might be my next project.

Surf Casting Styles

Comments and suggestions always appreciated. I'm not a professional caster, but I like to think I have passable form :p

Evan

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
to me it looked like you loaded the rod the most when using the Unitech cast. Im pretty sure you probably got better distance with that cast also. I have found that the Unitech is the best cast for me 99% of the time. The beaches I fisher are never flat, and normally have wind blowing. So any ground cast or swing cast seems to give me isses with time. If I'm wading out the I would use my version of a hatteras, but other than that it's mostly Unitech for me.. What type of distance are you getting with each using the Baseball?

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Good video Evan.

That's a unique version of the Hatteras cast. A little pendulum action thrown in.

The HC is a funny animal, MANY different versions out there. I go for a simple toss back and then turn and hit with the same uncoil fundamentals as the groundcast.

It's good to see different clips.

Tommy

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
for me.
bait on sand , 6 oclock.
aim fire. never misses, never misfires, no turning, or swinging, no bs.
xD

never been a fan or hatteras or brighton.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually found that my best distances came with the partial-rotation OTG. The Uni-Tech does look like a better-loading cast in the video but what you can't see is that it tended to launch high. I just can't seem to get the timing right on that one. I ddn't measure any distances with the ball, but if my guage on the field is correct it went something like OTG: 120yds, Hatteras: 110-115, UT: 95-100. I'm going to get in lots of practice time next week to ward off exam stress, so I'll break out the laser a bit.

When I first started messing around with the Hatteras, I'd never seen it done in person or on video. All I had to go on was a couple of descriptions in books. That is pretty much what developed, though I've shortened the drop considerably. Tommy, when I find time to make it down your way and get in some lesson time you'll have to show me your Hatteras. :D

Thanks for all the comments. I thought I might get my actual practice session up yesterday, but that video was on the camera first so it went up first.

Evan

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
for me.
bait on sand , 6 oclock.
aim fire. never misses, never misfires, no turning, or swinging, no bs.
xD

never been a fan or hatteras or brighton.
I cast the same way. Never have a problem and hitting someone else with a poor cast is pretty much impossible. I would like to learn the more advanced casting methods but the basic over the head cast is safest for me (and everyone around me) when fishing. One thing I learned from watching casting videos is proper arm extension and picking a point about 45 above the horizon. I have doubled my distance with those two alone this year

Nice vid Evan.. Thanks for sharing it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great videos they are very informative. Know I am trying to figure out if I should use a spinning reel (Finnor of95 or daiwa reel) or an Abu garcia or Avet MXL on my Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic 13'3".

·
Registered
712 Posts
archerlever i thought i answered that question for you in you other post. if you want to go with the clock face release it at 11 o'clock.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Are you imagining the clock face from above or from the side? In other words, is 9 o'clock straight up or straight to the caster's left?

Evan
from above E
12oclock is front toward sea
so 6 is straight back

i normally (THINK) i release my thumb about 130-2 oclock or so.
but its different for ever rod.

if i need to do a fishing otg.
my rod tip starts at 730 with the bait also in the back 730. (so a straight line)
i find it doesnt rip bait off as easily like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what were you using as a weight? Looked like a ball of some sort. Just got into surf casting and threw my rod for the first time today. I have a abu 7000 on a 11' diawa emcast. I was throwing just a six oz weight about 100yards. On every cast the weight buried in the ground and I had to walk to it. Where can I find something to practice with that won't bury? thanks.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was throwing a baseball. They're easy to make and weigh about 5 oz. You can't get accurate distances with one but they are good to practice form with and show up well on video.

Here's how I made mine:

1) Drill a hole straight through a baseball. Easiest if done with a drill press.

2) Tie a piece of 80# or 100# test mono to a #4 treble hook.

3) Run the mono through the hole up to the hook and use a hammer to tap the hook points into the ball.

4) Tie a swivel to the mono on the other side of the ball.

Evan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.