Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The town of Cape Charles is proposing a $300,000 request to build an extension to their pier over their jetty. The town will chip in $100,000 for the $400,000 project. The town will make the pier free. Free, Free, Free.

This jetty is an amazing hot spot with tremendous variety of quality fish. However, it is also very dangerous because in the middle of the jetty, the water during high tide goes over the rocks, making the rocks very slippery.

Unfortunately, the current pier stops at the slippery rocks and was intended to stop people from going into the jetty (which it didn't). The cost of sending an ambulance to pick up someone with a broken leg was getting to be too much. The pier is only fishable during high tide. The initial proposal for the extension was rejected on the basis of under estimating of cost, no engineering plan, no bathroom and no fish cleaning station. The commission showed keen interest in the project and they upped the ante. I could tell these guys were fishermen and my impression was that they wanted this thing done right.

The town has resubmitted. They have a very nice bathroom now. Please e-mail [email protected] for your support.

Here is the website for the info.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/vsrfdf/index.htm

Think about it. A 24 hour trip will cost you only 14$ round trip to CBBT. The type of fishing this jetty provides will be worth it. Bring a friend and it's the same any any pier. The last 50 yards of the jetty are water over 30 feet and hold an incredible variety of good fish (red drum, black drum, cobia, spot, croaker, blues, sharks, flounder, trout, spanish mack, togs, seabass, puffers, roundheads (va state record caught at cape charles harbor).

It is a hot spot for flounders as well. The commission has upped the ante and I hope they pass this proposal.

Cape Charles is a nice little town and I applaud the people for this proposal. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey ccc do you want us to email saying we are in support of this proposal? If so I will let me know! Always in support of something that has to do with fishing and free!:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just emailed

I agree this would be a great opportunity to improve some of our precious fishing piers. I just sent an Email out. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Please send in your e-mail of support for this project. Fishing access for the shorefishermen is shrinking each year. The town of Cape Charles is one of the few willing to have access for the shorefishermen.

All for free. Believe me, this place is a hot spot. It is extremely rare for the shorefishermen to have both a rock structure in very deep water.

ccc

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fall is coming up soon. If you have never fished Cape Charles, this is an excellent place for large flounders, stripers and puppy drum in the fall. Give it a try on an incoming tide right at the end of the pier. Chances are there will be very few people there.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I saw the proposal for this project and from what I can tell is it a pier that will be built over the jetty at the town of Cape Charles. It does look like a good project to me.

Tom

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is in the town of Cape Charles protecting the harbor. The left side of the jetty is the Cape Charles harbor and the right side is the Town Beach. The water on the harbor side is very deep. The water on the beach side is deep towards the end of the jetty. The current pier is too short not taking the angler to the desired spot. They will build another 75 yards or so.

Trust me, it is a much better spot than Kiptopeke. As matter of fact, I stayed at Kiptopeke for a week and fished both places. Even the shorter pier at Cape Charles was much better than Kiptopeke. I suspect the concrete ship at Kiptopeke is more of a detriment than a help for the fishing spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts