Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met Darryl at 0 dark 30 for a trip. He's a trooper; his daughter gave him her cold for Christmas, but he came fishing anyway. If he hadn't had the cold we would have met about 2am to fish the tide right, but we waited till 5:30. After a little confusion on my part about exactly where the put in was, we got going.

After a fifteen minute paddle out to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, we were connecting with stripers. Tide was still going out and the sky was just turning pink behind us. A light northerly wind has some 1 foot waves gently rolling along. I quickly hooked up on a pair of 18 inch schoolies using 5" Storm Wild Eye Shad lures. Great striper lure, BTW. Darryl got a couple too, while the guys in the one power boat kept giving us very funny looks, either because we were catching fish and they weren't or because they thought us nuts to be out on the bay in a Dagger Delta and a 12 foot Pungo kayak.

As the sky lightened the bite slowed and then stopped when the tide slacked off. We moved closer to the pilings and I started vertical jigging. Again the stealth of a yak paid off as I collared a nice 22 inch striper. Darryl caught a 27-28 inch fish, and strung it up for dinner tonight. It was so strong it bent the clip on his stringer straight a few minutes later and swam off. Darryl got his limit later though.

I hooked up with a nicer fish on a 4 inch storm blue shad. He hit like a ton of bricks and towed me off away from the pilings a bit. I knew I had a quality fish on. After spending a few moments with my rod tip underwater from the fish pulling so hard, he started coming up. Unfortunately he came up near the boat, swirled, saw the yak and spooked, diving straight down. Even with drag squeeling he managed to snap the 15/4 PP like dental floss. I guessed he was somewhere between 30-35 inches long.

The tide finally went totally slack, and the waves had increased to 18-24 inches. Bummed out and with no bites for a while after that, plus with Darryl not feeling his best, we turned and headed to the beach, surfing the small swells in the last 20 yards. We were off the water and home by 10:30.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yakity Yak

Yak ity Yak> Great Fishin'> I truly admire the adventurous spirit you gusy display!:cool: :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts