Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for sugs on a rod to match the used Blu Yonder I just got. I ordered a OM10scm from Greg but am becoming concered that it is to lite (1-4 oz) I am pretty new to casting conventionals but don't want to spend money to find out that I can use more rod with this reel. It just looks so small I didn't want to overgun it. I still have a chance to change my mind and get a 12' 3-6oz so please don't hold back with your thoughts

Thanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Looking for sugs on a rod to match the used Blu Yonder I just got. I ordered a OM10scm from Greg but am becoming concered that it is to lite (1-4 oz) I am pretty new to casting conventionals but don't want to spend money to find out that I can use more rod with this reel. It just looks so small I didn't want to overgun it. I still have a chance to change my mind and get a 12' 3-6oz so please don't hold back with your thoughts

Thanks
Tracker16, what type fish are you trying to catch?

You should only be putting 17lb test line max on that reel, I heard of some guys putting 20lb mono on it but I would not reccomend that.

With that reel you could be thowing 8 and bait depending on you're shock leader, it all boils down to what you are going after.

Thats a good rod you got there, I got the same rod and that rod fits that reel nicely for throwng metal.

You're not gonna be able to catch all species on one rig.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
With light weights that rod will do fine. Al Kai is right, you probably won't find just one rod that is perfect for soaking bait and tossing metal. The 10' 4-8 and the 12' 3-6 would both be great for a pyramid and a chunk, while the 10' 1-4 would make a good metal and sea mullet rod. OM makes durable high-quality rods but I wouldn't throw more than a 3-4oz fishfinder with the 1-4. If the rod performs like the others in the OM line, I'd bet that the sweet spot is right around 3+bait.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
With light weights that rod will do fine. Al Kai is right, you probably won't find just one rod that is perfect for soaking bait and tossing metal. The 10' 4-8 and the 12' 3-6 would both be great for a pyramid and a chunk, while the 10' 1-4 would make a good metal and sea mullet rod. OM makes durable high-quality rods but I wouldn't throw more than a 3-4oz fishfinder with the 1-4. If the rod performs like the others in the OM line, I'd bet that the sweet spot is right around 3+bait.
Yep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.