Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently looked at a few surf rods. I see where these things go from $30 to god knows what. I have medium inshore 7ft set-ups, each under $100. im thinking about getting a little more involved with the distance casting but im not sure about how serious im willing to get with them. I see where ugly stick has one for about $60. would this be a dissapointment for me? I dont care for them in particular, its just that they are one of the cheaper ones.
if i were to buy one are there any that are nice for the money? name brands dont mean much to me at this point and keeping the price @ or under $100,even if its a used one. just a starter surf rod i'd be interested in to see if its something that i'd like to try. a decent rod that has feel and strength.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think that the ugly sticks have to much bend in them. i like outer banks custum power stick 12' cast or spin, they are $84.99 and they are nice!

·
Registered
49 Posts
What are you targeting? What reel will you be putting on it?

I'm not sure what you're targeting, but take a look at the Ocean Master surf rods from BPS/Offshore Angler. The 12' model has a MH 3-6 and H 6-12. Also have a 10' model.A little above the $100 mark($130).

Fishing Tackle Unlimited(FTU) online-- They offer a 9', 10', and 11' conventional(not sure about spinning). I own the 11ft model. They use quality guides,seat. Lifetime warranty--$59-$79.

If you want to get really inexpensive, look at the "Shoremaster" surf rods. They make fine Drum rods. I paid $15 for the 9' model and have had it for approx. 15 months and have landed 70+ oversized Black Drum and Red drum on it in the ship channel. Heck, if it explodes tomorrow I've got my moneys worth. I've fished it hard and it's held up. 4 ounces and bait. I own the 10' model as well.

There's a few to choose from that will get you near the $100 mark--Tica, Tsunami, Daiwa etc etc.

It's going to come back to what you plan on using the rod for. Just as an example, a couple of the ugly stiks I've used were heavy and I wouldn't recommend them for throwing lures all day (though they were ok for tossing out 6 ounces and a large Whiting head).

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
There is an OM Cape Point rod for sale in the Marketplace for $80.

If I had the cash right now I'd buy it myself. Already have one and I LOVE IT!

If you're looking for conventional, buy that rod or the Tica that is in the same post for $60.

For spinning, I would buy a Tsunami to start out with.

JMHO

Evan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts