Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing yesterday, I encountered the following problem. I was using 17 lb Tritanium (newly spooled) on my Daiwa 30shv (no brakes installed) and my spool was tightened down pretty tight to keep control of my cast. I was throwning a 5 oz. frog tongue and cut finger mullet and once or twice I'd get a backlash. Only problem is, since a blow up isn't uncommon for me, is that the line was breaking deep in the birds nest on the spool! As I was picking out the mess, I would see deeper into the mess that the line was broken. Is this a common thing in a blow up with any line? I've fished Sufix Seige and blown it up and not had the line break deeper in the spool.:confused:

·
Registered
560 Posts
suffix tri or any co-polymer line will break if it is 'kinked' hard enough .
if it it is cool out it happens more often .
if i see a kink in a birds nest , i cut the whole nest out ...
not worth taking a chance on a weak spot in the line .

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Derf hit it. Usually a decent birdsnest with Sufix Tri is a respool for me. Fortunately, I rarely blow them up. Now that I've said that, I've probably jinxed myself though.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Yep, yep. I found this also with all co-polymer lines. I also found yesterday while stripping the line of a couple reels that if you get a twist down seep in the spool it causes the line to get flatsided and kinky looking. Resulting in a very easy break.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Easy fix

Put some red brakes in your reel and loosen up the spool to a slight knock and then you would have to worry about the nests and line problems, kinks, ect.:)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Put some red brakes in your reel and loosen up the spool to a slight knock and then you would have to worry about the nests and line problems, kinks, ect.:)
Sure was a lot of yer yellow Tri Plus in the trash at LIP today.

Ya might need them brakes. :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
Only problem is, since a blow up isn't uncommon for me, is that the line was breaking deep in the birds nest on the spool!.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah........put two red brakes in and stop the backlash problem, as stated before.What good is fishing weak line.........even if you can throw it five yards further?

Tritanium is pretty good stuff,it aint Berkley XT but since you can't get XT in solar in big spools any longer it is the next best thing.Been looking at the red XT ????????? anybody got any feed back on this stuff yet?

Oh yeah try the yellow Suffix tri if you aren't fishing in crowds like Cape Point,and if you can find it..........good tough stuff,better than the solar/yellow.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
While fishing yesterday, I encountered the following problem. I was using 17 lb Tritanium (newly spooled) on my Daiwa 30shv (no brakes installed) and my spool was tightened down pretty tight to keep control of my cast. I was throwning a 5 oz. frog tongue and cut finger mullet and once or twice I'd get a backlash. Only problem is, since a blow up isn't uncommon for me, is that the line was breaking deep in the birds nest on the spool! As I was picking out the mess, I would see deeper into the mess that the line was broken. Is this a common thing in a blow up with any line? I've fished Sufix Seige and blown it up and not had the line break deeper in the spool.:confused:

If a blowup isn't uncommon for you,why wouldn't you put a red brake or two in the reel??????

Yeap,it's pretty common for most lines to kink when backlashed deep in the spool like that.. The wieght of that sinker going through the air,and that spool spinnin 10000rpm,makes it easy for things to go bad in the cast,if you don't have your reel tuned in right.... If you are using no brakes in that reel,then it stands to reason,not only is your bearing cap tight,but you are using a lot of thumb as well... Kinked line can cause a break off,but burns in the line will cause breakoffs even faster...

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a blowup isn't uncommon for you,why wouldn't you put a red brake or two in the reel??????

Yeap,it's pretty common for most lines to kink when backlashed deep in the spool like that.. The wieght of that sinker going through the air,and that spool spinnin 10000rpm,makes it easy for things to go bad in the cast,if you don't have your reel tuned in right.... If you are using no brakes in that reel,then it stands to reason,not only is your bearing cap tight,but you are using a lot of thumb as well... Kinked line can cause a break off,but burns in the line will cause breakoffs even faster...
Actually I bought this reel used and the first time I took it to the pier, the pins spun into an S shape and when I tried to straighten them up they popped off. In a conversation with alantani he thought the brake pins couldn't be put back in, so I'm looking for a replacement spool.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Actually I bought this reel used and the first time I took it to the pier, the pins spun into an S shape and when I tried to straighten them up they popped off. In a conversation with alantani he thought the brake pins couldn't be put back in, so I'm looking for a replacement spool.
Sounds like a reel ripe for a magnet. Why do you want to fish a reel that blows up?

You spend more time stripping and respooling that casting & fishing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Blow up,s

i,m convinced that the line gets cut by the spool? kinks ,i agree, but if the pins are gone your right buy a spool. need some help i offered. give me a shout. reels are cheap i,ll help you find a good one we live pretty close.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dino.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts