Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gave it my best today drove from OV to Sandbridge an fished alot inbetween but not even a bump. Used just about every lure in my box. Flea was heading out to SG after we left chicks so hopefully since I didn't go he'll get into some fish. :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sounds like you gave it your best shot Cdog . Hopefully it will not turn into Suckfest 2004 .:p

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kozlow said:
Sounds like you gave it your best shot Cdog . Hopefully it will not turn into Suckfest 2004 .:p
It will not Koz, cuz if it does I might have to take up a new hobby/obsession. Maybe knitting! :D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Guess we gonna hafta get out and getus a pixtur striper before the 04 bell rings:I'll be in touch....the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well I found fish but they were frustrating.
Brother in Law and I went to Chick's beach area about 10::00pm went to the Lesner 1st and worked for a while but nothing. So we went out to Chick's 3 people fishing 1 on the beach and 2 in the water. The birds were thick way out so I grabed a Rockfish Rocket and started wading. One guy walked back to shore and the other was happily casting away(Sand Flea) I launch the the Rocket as Flea is telling me what is happening, I hook up on the Dreaded 1st cast and release the fish Flea fishes for a while and heads in(he said he had been there for 2 hours catching) So he leaves us standing in fish. But I check my bag looking for something small that I can work on top, I have the wrong bag so we grab Coffee and check out the Lesner on the tide change keep going and back to Chicks the Birds are thick and the wind has picked up and they moved out so back home. Stopped at the Creek and made the dreaded 1st cast and first fish so we went home. The key to fish was simple a slow presentation with something red and white about 4-5 inches long.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Seagull was a bust, but I had the entire pier to myself for about an hour. A few other folks showed up and I fished for another hour to no avail--not a bump, not a nibble.

Back to Chick's around 9 PM where there were lots of smacks on the righthand side of the bridge and a few birds. Weird thing is, there was nothing on the left of the bridge where they usually are.

After some experimenting I find that the fish were hitting small plugs that were barely retrieved. Anything that was moving too fast they wouldn't touch. The red and white Mirrolure did the trick. I tried to share my suggestion with some of the other anglers out there since no one else was catching, but it didn't seem to take. Until Stan arrived only one other person caught a single fish.

Around the time Stan arrived, the fish got bigger. I lost one that was about 25" when I was trying to unhook him. In the end, I couldn't feel my hands and left around midnight. I pulled in around 15 fish in the two or three hours I was there. I'll be back tonight.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Suit up!

Just checked Chick's (3:30 PM) and there are birds everywhere about 120 yards out. I'll be on the water in 15 if anyone cares to join.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Go get them Sandflea and take pictures of what you caught.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK heading out th door

Bunker is taken care of so maybe tonight will make this yr a little better.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So tell me why I drove 40 miles to Rudee then got in my boat and ran another 25 miles south when I could have dropped it in at Wallace's or Lynhaven and caught some schoolies.

Glad to here somebody else is catching some fish. Very few were caught by boaters off of the NC line.

I did see a flock of birds and a half a dozen boats in the channel east of the HRBT.

Maybe I will get into them next time.

Tom

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Tom we hope and chase dreams all the time. Sometimes the dreams steer us wrong some times not. We really need to look at and understand the conditions that drive the fish. I hope you had a pleasant ride.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Don't know how you guys from the Peninsula do this on a consistent basis - fishing Chix, SB, Lesner, Seagull, etc. I spent the week running from Chesapeake to Williamsburg (parents did the ol' Colonial Christmas thing) and that was exhausting (not to mention expensive on the tank too). Plus I sat in that stupid 64 crap 1/2 the time.
But the folks are packed and heading home and now I can get a line in the water now.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cost of gas- $30
Mileage on truck- 340 miles
Damage to fingers an toes- yep still hurting
Actually catching a fish in front of Flea- Priceless! :p

Fished chicks from 7-11 again tonight an managed 1 fish on a mirrorlure. Came up 1/2" short but at least I got th skunk off before th end of th year.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chest2head&glassy said:
Don't know how you guys from the Peninsula do this on a consistent basis - fishing Chix, SB, Lesner, Seagull, etc. I spent the week running from Chesapeake to Williamsburg (parents did the ol' Colonial Christmas thing) and that was exhausting (not to mention expensive on the tank too). Plus I sat in that stupid 64 crap 1/2 the time.
But the folks are packed and heading home and now I can get a line in the water now.
C2H&G, heading out to VB isn't too bad. But th ride home on th other hand....

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The drive sux big time......no matter how well you plan it, ya still get stuck in some major crap...heck ,before ya get to the tunnel,Eustis to the tunnel can be a nightmare.Cant believe you guys west of HPT/NN do it without medication....the R

·
Registered
862 Posts
Oh I had a nice day. It was cold but not to bad. The ride home got a little snotty but not to bad. It reminded me how big my big-little-16 foot bow rider really is. The boat did great and I only got a little wet thanks to a good set of rain pants and a float coat. My buddy had been cooped up taking care of his wife for the past several weeks and really apreaceated the concept of just getting out of the house and on the water. Besides that I have enough fish in the freeazer to last until the croaker come in this spring.

The real drag was not going out to fish the CBBT or waiting for the weather to break and going to the CBBT. On the other hand had I made it out to he CBBT in the morning it would have been a case of the boat bringing me home wayyyyyyyyy after I wish I was there. I bet it got really nasty out on the bay in the middle of the day.

Maybe Monday.

Tom

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just post todays suckfest report here. Fished Chicks from 2:30- 6:30pm, got one hook up on a gator spoon but it jumped off. Proceeded to throw said spoon onto th South bound bridge thus losing said spoon. Grass moved in an I decided to say goodbye an good ridence to 03. On a plus side I did meet P&Sers Mr&Mrs Roadrunner(is that PC?). Nice to have a chance to chat with you guys. My hook up came prolly 5 min after yall left.Onto th ocean from here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad we could be of GOOD LUCK 2 U

Great report...Like I told you earlier, you have been the fisherman there in the past. Knew we should of left a little earlier so your LUCK would return. At least you had a hit. Sorry 2 hear u lost that lure....Could have been the lure of 2003. Take care and keep in touch. Keep us informed on the ocean fishin'.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts