Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our annual Nite Bite outing over the weekend. Fished some Friday night just to see if we could get on a pattern. Cast the weed flats adjacent to 32' of water using top water baits from dark till midnight with no takers.

Fished the next morning trolling large 9"-13" crank baits down around the thermocline 10'-14' down. Put in about 4 hrs with no takers. Went back to the cabin for a mid day nap to get ready for the all nighter.

Registration at the boat ramp was 5 pm we were fishing at 6. Started off trolling deep again, but noticed some bait on the surface at dusk back in one of the bays. Switched over to shallow running baits...top 4' of the water column. We had two 9" Sledges on in line planer boards (with glow sticks zip tied to the boards) and two 6" Shad Raps running right off the boat. At 10:05 one rod went off, a fish had hit one of the shad raps. My newbie on the boat couldn't get the rod out of the down easter however, and the fish got off before he could even start cranking on it. Not 45 seconds later one of the sledge's got slammed. I grabbed the rod and got the fish turned around. Newbie started clearing rods. For about minute or so the fish fought like it was in a different weight class. Then it came up and started thrashing on the surface. It dove a couple times and Jumped after each dive, but I could tell it wasn't quite as big at this point. It made one more small run at the boat, and ended up 35 1/4" in the net. Got a good clean release on it and that was that.

25 anglers fished the outing and 4 fish were reported. A 40" won the trophy, the other two were around the 37" mark. I know of at least one other boat that also lost a fish that night.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like casting those shad raps...I've caught some large bass (for Ohio) casting those things while muskie fishing. They are one of my go to lures for trolling a shoreline also. One of those on an in-line planer worked right up on the shore does great in the Spring and Fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts